ElevatHer - networking app for women in fintech

I’m not offended at all. I just can’t wrap my head around why this even needs to be a thing. What’s wrong with existing networking apps?

Anyway. It was a simple question at first to the author followed by a discussion about whether this is spam or not.

There is no malice intended in my responses so please don’t take it as such. As mentioned above I’m just looking to get an understanding of what the issue is that requires the need for something like this :confused:

2 Likes

Very wise words and very well summarised :clap: Thank you for helping me see it from another perspective too :slight_smile:

Think I’ll leave this topic here after the above to avoid digressing further.

1 Like

I see your points and I agree that actual segregation in the work place would not be a good thing, but this is an app (separate from people’s work places) that facilitates the meeting of new people.

I just don’t see why the two (having access to a female-oriented app and working with colleagues of any gender) can’t coexist.

But yeah I’ll leave it there now too.

2 Likes

While i personally don’t think this app may be needed (male or female), i certainly wouldn’t force anyone to stop doing anything they want like this, I think they can coexist (though i wouldn’t expect a positive reception of a male version of this app if anyone ever tried to make one :smile: ), but I do believe that these areas need to be considered with care.

Ever since work places started putting in quotas for hiring women for example my friends have been worried how this will affect their career in the long term, they want to be hired on merit not because of their gender. Like you said this is just a 3rd party app, people are free to make these apps as they like for the most part, there’s nothing really wrong with it, but there is an underlying issue and trend that needs to be given thought and care, which hopefully has been given that thought and care.

1 Like

Wow, I hand on heart hopes this fails.

Imagine if the same was made for men. There would be outrage.

Imagine the outrage if it was considered necessary!

1 Like

‘Positive’ Discrimination is still Discrimination.

Bit of a non sequitur, isn’t it? Who mentioned positive discrimination?

This app is simply discrimination. Maybe they should make one for just white people next? There is no difference at all.

Discrimination is simply discrimination.

Do you think white people need a helping hand in finance & tech? If so, get an app developed.

No it isn’t a non sequitur. The app is pretty much the definition of positive discrimination.

1 Like

Maybe we have a slightly different definition of discrimination here.

I don’t think that aiming an app at a particular demographic is discriminatory.

If you think differently, then fine. I’m happy to disagree.

I’ve participated in a few threads on this forum where wildly divergent opinions are expressed, and it’s never been fun. So I’ll leave it here, and wish you all the best :+1:

5 Likes

That’s exactly what it is. Discriminatory isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the word it’s self is fairly neutral, it depends on how it is applied. The app is discriminatory by design, there’s no arguing that, but that in its self does not conclude if it is a bad thing or good thing.

1 Like