Does Monzo offer a joint account?

3 Likes

:soon:

1 Like

We really need to try to work out what the Monzo definition of :soon: is!

4 Likes

What you’re seeing is from a design exploration, I wouldn’t read too deeply into the feed items. :sweat_smile:

At the moment, you hold down the tab bar to switch accounts. This is very non-final but some other internal mocks have an account switcher in the top of the Account tab. It’s likely that we might end up with something like the Account tab being the clear way of doing it with holding the tab bar being a shortcut.

Again, these are very early design explorations for the app while we’re simultaneously working on the required backend changes to support multi-owner accounts. :hammer:

5 Likes

When will then be now?

Please :pray:t2: find a way that I don’t need two different debit cards. I’ve mentioned them in another thread but I think you can learn from Curve’s UX here.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Combining joint and individual accounts onto a single card (e.g. the way Curve works) would be a nightmare for some.

Both my wife and I have individual accounts and a joint account, all of which see quite a high amount of transactions. If I had to use my app to switch to the account I want to use every single time would be truly painful. I’m happy to embrace change so I may be able to get used to this arrangement eventually, however my wife would take one look at this kick it straight in to touch. There is no way she’d be able to keep on top of the admin overhead needed to keep switching accounts. Also, what happens when you need to make a purchase when you have no signal so cant switch accounts? If it goes on the wrong account, then you have to have a way to retrospectively go in and move the transaction to the correct account. I can see that becoming unwieldy and prone to error very quickly I’m afraid, I think that would be a deal breaker for me.

11 Likes

There would be no need to constantly log in to the app. Bunq Bank (Netherlands) assign two different PINs to one card, and depending which PIN you use, it debits the corresponding account.

10 Likes

What do they do for contactless, out of interest? Defaults to a specific account?

3 Likes

Yes, I believe so.

I haven’t used Bunq but it feels from what I’ve read like more a power banking proposition rather than something that streamlines the experience, which is where I think Monzo is going.

My gut instinct is that either the Curve (like) proposition or two cards would be the best way to go. Maybe with some user choice in there to pick?

Surely you’ve already said the answer - use curve! It does exactly what you’re asking for so load both cards onto that!

1 Like

Curve still requires you to log in to the app to select an active account though. Even if this is done retrospectively, it’s still required.

Of course! Personally the two different pin scenario I don’t see as useful as (and I can only speak for myself) I use contactless absolutely everywhere. So to implement the PIN idea means I have to go back to using chip and PIN. It just all seems a bit ham fisted. There are plenty of existing options there imo - either use different cards, use a solution like curve or use mobile wallets like Apple Pay or google pay. I see this as trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist, especially when there are numerous other things that development time would be better spent on. Just my point of view of course!

2 Likes

The two pins idea sounds very good for my use case. Contactless can just default to my personal account, things getting paid from the joint account are almost always above the contactless limit anyway.

Another good option might be to allow selection of which account contactless payments are taken from, the other account could be added to android / apple pay.

I’m intrigued to see what Monzo come up with, it seems that from reading the comments that most people use joint accounts in similar ways but not the exact same way, so perhaps Monzo need to offer more than 1 type of “shared” account, or give us choices when we set it up as to who was what rights/access to spend what amount.

Personally I think I use my current account in a pretty standard way and I don’t really want Monzo to change/better that.
I get paid into my current account, my wife gets paid into hers, I transfer X into the joint account she transfers Y. Then the joint account pays for all household bills via DD, we each then have a debit card for the joint account which we use to purchase groceries and meals out etc.
My current joint account works great, no major improvements needed, maybe just a little more transparency, e.g. I want to be able to see everything that has been spent per category for both my current account and joint account combined.

I just want a “regular” joint account combined with Monzo’s great app, customer service, great OD fee’s and great exchange rates/foreign spending.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for this to come out and my GF and I to have our first joint account :smiley:

3 Likes

Just popped in to say I’ll be able to fully move over to Monzo once joint accounts are available, including joint ‘pots’. Crucial part of our finance management.

Obviously I can do it between Halifax and Monzo, but just defeats the point of being on a modern app based banking being split between the two.

Waiting patiently :smiley:

3 Likes

It looks like Monzo may offer a full joint account rather than joint pots. Hopefully they will still release joint pots for other scenarios though.

6 Likes

Does anyone know the time frame for this :ok_hand: