Do you pay for Cloud Storage?

Yeah. I’d only consider the Pixels for that reason.

1 Like

1tb Onedrive as part of Office 365
I run ownCloud from my NAS (inf costs)

Free:
10gb from BackBlaze

I pay for Google Drive and Amazon Drive.

Google Drive for daily use I think I get 116 GB (15 GB free + 1 GB early adopter bonus + 100 GB paid)

Amazon is good for photos because with prime membership they don’t count towards storage allowance. I mainly use Amazon Drive for Archiving. Currently I have unlimited storage plan which I paid for the year but now Amazon has stopped offering unlimited plan so maybe I will be moved to 1 TB on my renewal.

1 Like

Yeah I really agree with these comments, I don’t mind Google having all of my data and everything and its definitely hard to avoid a Google product because its so convenient to use Google, you can find them on virtually every single device possible whereas other ecosystems like Apple, its very restricted and access to things are not as simple as the way Google has done it. I have an iPhone but basically everything on it is Google related: Google Photos, Google Drive, GMail, Google WiFi, Google Contacts oh dear the list goes on… I’ve tried avoiding the Apple Ecosystem as much as possible as then it would be harder to access some things on every device.

Anyways! I do pay for 100gb of cloud storage and I’m not sure if Evernote counts but I’ve recently started using it and I love it I’m tempted to pay for their premium subscription to sync more notes.

1 Like

I recently started paying for it. I don’t use it that much but I do need to be able to use it on more than 2 devices.

1 Like

Didn’t Evernote get taken over/closed?

I use OneNote

Over the last six months I’ve been extending my pursuit of home simplicity/minimalism to all things technological.

This has included:

• Selling the majority of our DVDs and using Netflix
  • Selling the majority of our books and using a Kindle
  • Streaming all music through Spotify
  • Going paperlite (we have only kept essential documents)
  • Having all my computer files on the cloud (Dropbox).

My future goals include changing all my passwords for two-factor authentication with generated passwords and to store all my photos on a cloud service.

This above strategies bring me closer to my goal: having a fully agile lifestyle. Cloud services are one of the cornerstones in this strategy.

Currently, every document I own is on Dropbox (I pay £7.99/month for 1 TB). This means I can access all my work on most computers and on my phone wherever I have reception. To help with this work-flow, I scan in everything that I want to keep as soon as I receive it.

This approach might not be suitable for everyone, but if you’re interested, a highly recommended website for this stuff is https://thesweetsetup.com/. They research many of the options available for each service and present their recommendations.

5 Likes

I don’t really need more than Apple’s 50gb for £0,79.

However, for payslips and other sensitive documents (I scanned everything last time I moved in case my papers got lost) I use 1password :old_key::old_key::old_key:

1 Like

I pay Apple £2.49 for 200gb, for my backups plus I use iCloud Drive over Dropbox now. Dropbox had some better features for sharing, but mostly I just wanted my Documents folders to be synced across devices and available on my iPhone and iPad.

I have paid subscriptions with Google for G Suite for my personal domain (I had hackers try to access my iCloud account when it was on a gmail address, so I thought I’d go for one on my own domain and try to limit the ways anyone could access my logins) and Microsoft 365 (for a different domain, for a site I run) and both come with big cloud storage spaces but I don’t use the space from either really.

1 Like

I use Onedrive (for work), Dropbox (a free account for personal files).

Barely use Google Drive, feel like Google has more than enough of my information stored already.

I use Microsoft for all my stuff as I’ve found that a lot of companies block things like Dropbox and Google Drive etc but don’t block OneDrive as they use the product themselves.

I only pay for £2.49 for 200GB of iCloud. And then get 200gb on creative cloud from work

I have the 200GB iCloud storage plan with Apple for £2.49 a month.

Its not that I prefer iCloud to any others, it just works really nicely with apple devices. I like the security of knowing I could lose my device, log in on a new one and, with the exception of some applications, everything would be how I left it.

3 Likes

I don’t, unless you count the few pence a month I pay to AWS for my server backups.

Other than that, I get by on the free default storage options (at least, I did for iPhone backups, Android doesn’t really have that type of system).

I also get a free TB of space on OneDrive from my university, which stores all my uni work.

Liam

No, you must be mixing it up with with one of the umpty other companies that made useful pieces of software and then got taken over, Evernote is still going.

I think Wunderlist? But that’s going to get shutdown soon

Back in the day Evernote had a competitor called Springpad that I used. They shut down a few years back though…

Ahh yeah that’s the one, Wunderlist was taken over my Microsoft who ruined it by releasing To-Do which is a pile of :poop:

1 Like

I pay for Dropbox at £79 a year for 1TB plus a few GB earned through various referrals and campaigns. I use much more than my free allowance but nowhere near 1TB. However, the fact that shared Dropbox links are two clicks to download to my own account is awesome, and I share folders with lots of people I know for various stuff I do (particularly with radio) so that’s useful. It seems to be the one everyone I know knows and trusts so I just stick with it.

1 Like

Aw no, Wunderlist is great. Such a shame. :unamused: