Subscription Payment Model

(Stephen Ward) #1

It seems like so many apps are moving to a subscription model for payments these days.
It doesn’t sit well with me. I like to pay upfront and know the transaction is done.
I can understand it for larger software apps like Office 365 but for smaller apps like calculator, etc it just seems like a money-grab.
Would you rather pay upfront for your software or pay a smaller recurring fee?

(👨‍💻) #2

Are you on iOS or Android?
I read a report on 9to5 Mac just before the new iPhones were released, that stated that Apple was pushing app developers into the subscription model. Apple take a hefty charge from app developers, especially from the apps you subscribe to, so it makes sense why apps are heading down this route.

I’m not sure whether it is the same on Android, but I’ve noticed that this has become the norm on iOS.

I agree with you, it’s annoying. I just don’t use subscription apps anymore. The last one I paid for was Strava, but even that got to expensive in the end. I haven’t bothered since :woozy_face:

(👨‍💻) #3

(Stephen Ward) #4

I’m on iOS but I just read that office 365 is now available on the Mac and it got me thinking about the number of services and apps I currently subscribe to. It’s quite a lot.
I would happily pay more for some services like Netflix because we watch the heck out of it, and streaming music (currently paying for YouTube premium) but I probably don’t need to pay for office software. I pay for google drive and use google docs and google backup & sync.

I only subscribe to Spotify premium. I’m happy paying monthly so I have the flexibility to cancel at any time, and don’t have to shell out a lump sum up front.

Thinking about how much that lump sum would be has actually made me think twice about spending it… :thinking:

(Ravi) #6

The problem with upfront payment is that many people expect to pay once and then free updates forever. This may be fine for some apps but isn’t sustainable for others.

Office 365 has always been available on the Mac, but it wasn’t on the App Store as MS likely didn’t didn’t fancy giving up 30% of the subscription to Apple. I imagine that Apple is a lot more open to offering favourable terms now that they need to pump up their services revenue.

In terms smaller apps, it’s often the case that there are many great free alternatives and so justifying a subscription is pretty tough. Something like Bear Notes is quite nice but I’d imagine their market is fairly limited when Apple Notes is free on every iPhone and is pretty great.

I do pay a sub for 1Password because I really value the service and want to fund it’s continued development, but beyond that I’m generally happy with the free versions of services like Todoist, Trello, Pocket etc.