Display running balance with each entry

One small comment here: the issues being raised (which are totally valid) are a direct consequence of us not having launched the bank yet and still working with third-parties on a prepaid card. It won’t be an issue when it’s a current account.

9 Likes

Do you mean the issues with invisible items, or the issues of being unable to audit the account with checks and balances ??

1 Like

The issues with invisible items :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another option to this is to display the running balance at each transaction in the transaction tab - thus not cluttering the time line (red line shows card balance after that transaction)

1 Like

With the goal of auditing the transaction feed, against each and every single transaction, I don’t see that as being user-friendly. Imagine having to go in, note the balance, go out and back into the next transaction, note the balance. That would get tedious very quickly.

I’d like an automated way of auditing the feed (not that I personally would use it, I just think it would be easier).

Perhaps a marketplace integration between the API and a secure third party app, independent of Monzo, such as Google Docs for example. The balance after each transaction, could be deducted both from the balance as reported by Monzo and calculated by the integrated app, then return a +/- differentiation between actual and expected balances and after each transaction. Basically an automated way of how imagine the manual process of auditing ones own bank account would be.

You can link it to Google docs via the API now if you want to do it that way. I actually automatically audit my Monzo card using a Google sheet, if anything goes wrong it emails me.

How about an implementation like iMessages uses for the time of messages. Swipe to the right and it slides in the balance for all visible transactions?

I’d like to be able to see a balance too as I export all my transactions into Microsoft Money and then reconcile them there and want to check it is all correct.

6 Likes

I used to use Microsoft Money too until they stopped updating it and stopped supporting it. It used to be a great product so It’s demise was very sad

1 Like

True, but it’s not accessible to a non-technical user until becomes an integration you can click to install.

1 Like

The only times I’ve ever ‘audited’ a bank account it hasn’t balanced because it’s common practice not to list pending transactions but still give a total including them… therefore it’s really only possible if you keep your own spreadsheet.

Monzo is the first bank to actually give me enough information that I could spot an error… I hope they’re able to remain this transparent when operating as a full bank.

My bank always gave me 2 balance figures, account balance and available balance, the difference between the two being pending transactions.

1 Like

This is the screen I was calling metadata…

And personally I think this is the ideal place… Double checking the accounts accuracy isnt a day to day task, I dont see the need for a running balance slide in for example. But seeing what it was a taop up, and checking top up (or credit as we evolve more ways to add money) to top up is, to me, essential.

care to explain that in a bit more detail…

How do I get it from API to a google sheet ??

Auditing isnt something I need to do real time. I would look at a months statement to see start bal, closing bal, inputs and outputs…

Its that ‘snapshot’ of time which Monzo lacks. I am going to bet once its a bank, it will have it anyway. However I think it still should be ‘in app’ somewhere (even buried a little) rather than impossible to see in app and rely on old school style statements.

With a fair bit of code. I’d be happy to share it once I’m not working a thousand hours per week.

Hugo, I find this to be a very ugly solution :frowning: Can’t the information be placed in a more subtle/less obtrusive manner? How about within the grey bars that contain the date? This would allow the graph to return to being hidden when at the top of the screen, and for it to replace the Card Balance and Spent Today when scrolling down.

1 Like

I’m really sorry you find the new device too obtrusive :frowning:

Just to be clear, the main reason to keep the graph always on is not to display the running balance/spent today but to allow us to display information in the future. For example, very soon we’ll be able to plot in the graph when your next direct debit will come out and that kind of thing… if we hide the graph we cannot do that. So, yeah, tricky problem :thinking:

7 Likes

I see! One possible “solution” (if you agree it’s a problem) would be flip between graph and Card Balance/Spent Today by tapping on them. I’m sure you’ll come up with an eloquent solution. Or perhaps I’ll get used to the changes.

2 Likes

Any way to get rid of the spending graph? I find it really irritating.

That’s an opinion I’ve not heard before. Personally I’ve been waiting for it to come to Android for months.

Perhaps Monzo would consider a setting to turn it on it off.