Disable active card checks for particular website?

It isn’t the only response, to be fair. But it is often the one that works best.

4 Likes

Don’t worry I’m not upset :smiley:

I just find it odd that you ask for help, ignore it all and then go into chat and ask. Surely you should have done from the outset if you don’t value peoples opinions on here? Or is it because you didn’t get the answer you wanted?

Either way. Let us know what they say about Morrisons.

Probably. I had a winking face on the end of my last statement and it was flagged, which implied I knew the outcome mixed with a bit of satire so I just removed it and my post is visible again.

I don’t think name calling will help either - I’m certainly not grumpy. I explained in my last comment why I asked the question and it’s a fair comment.

Welcome to the forum! Please don’t let it put you off letting us know what Morrison’s have to say.

5 Likes

@Anarchist even posted saying he had a similar issue with Sainsburys until he called his previous bank and they whitelisted Sainsburys on his account. Don’t see why getting in touch with Monzo after that is a bad idea.

1 Like

Ignoring the ‘difficult’ people being… ‘difficult’… this is interesting as It’s my understanding that Morrison’s online is basically an adapted version of Ocado, and I had a period of a few weeks where suddenly every time I made a change to my Ocado shopping and so had to checkout again it performed another card check and needing to authorise again, which led to my feed being full of of 0p transactions each time I remembered I needed to add a pint of milk or some aquafaba or a royal doulton tea service. After a few weeks it stopped and, as before, only does this on the first checkout and no future ones. I only mention it as it may be a feature of the Ocado system, rather than something that Morrison’s themselves can easily do anything about.

3 Likes

This does seem to be more and more common across the web now. I remember it being brought up before.

Seems like it’s only going to be worse!

Just to retry my comment from above as it got a little missed. Can you set up Monzo with Apple Pay/Google pay and check out with that? It fixed the issue for me on Ocado.

Will give that a go in a bit! Thanks

If Monzo had a decent fraud modelling team they would be able to score transactions in real time and set referral strategies - this is exactly what the bigger uk banks do, you know, the ones that aren’t as “nimble” as Monzo :joy:

1 Like

Two things:

• ‘Bigger UK banks’ have decades of data to help them model risk, Monzo only has a few years worth.
  • My understanding is that if a bank completes a 3D Secure check the merchant initiates without passing the check on to the customer, the bank assumes liability for any fraud. Monzo don’t have the deep pockets to cover such risk that ‘bigger UK banks do’, so it’s no surprise that they are erring on the risk averse side still.
2 Likes

You don’t need decades of data to build a decent transaction whitelisting model, it’s straightforward, but given the topic it’s best not discussed in open forum

1 Like

I’m assuming they already do, do some internal checks of some sort. I’ve had purchases go through 3D secure which I don’t need to authorise, it brings up all the Monzo branding etc and then says the payments been authorised. Always retailers I’ve used before, so it is doable I guess it just depends on what their own internal risk policies are as to what they’ll do though.

3 Likes

Do you have experience in writing fraud checks for banks?

1 Like

They might have decades of data, but that data is totally irrelevant. I am involved with fraud scrubbing, on a much smaller scale than a bank, but anything older than a few years is pretty useless data.

For the second point, that is my belief too, so it is no surprise that Monzo are cautious.

2 Likes

I think it would be great to have the fingerprint authentication for everything online. It only takes 10 seconds and ensures only the card owner is making the transaction

1 Like

It’s not up to Monzo to implement this - it’s up to the Website you’re buying from I believe, because it requires work to hook into.

In essence, it is a fantastic idea

5 Likes

There are plenty of topics on this already where they’ve gone into depth as to why this isn’t possible.

Here is one of the most recent ones:

2 Likes

I want less checks online, not more!

God, I don’t. I want technology to verify it’s me without me even knowing, like it does already. Not more obstacles.

3 Likes