Direct Debit manual switching

Just changed my details with Seager Publishing. Very manual system I’m told so hopefully it should be fairly painless!

I am struggling Tesco Bank (Car Insurance) did it through there online form and accepted the details but then a week later it wasn’t in recurring payment list :scroll: so phoned them :telephone_receiver: and they said “Still have my other bank details, however we can change them for you” I gave them details of my :monzo: CA and said “we don’t recognise that bank” but then then said we can manually push them through and hope for the best :roll_eyes: a week later there still not in my recurring payments list so guess that one is going to fail. :grimacing:

Yes they are in my feed - but when I go into the DD list and select a payee, it only shows the last payment made - whereas it would be good to see all the DD’s made to that payee listed under them.

3 Likes

The main problem you’ll find with trying to update your DD details is that the company may not have updated their Sort Code Database (EISCD).
Odds are if they are putting in your sort code and saying its invalid, its because they havent updated theirs in a while. Some companies update weekly, most probably monthly, some quarterly and some smaller onesmay never update unless required to do so.
If you get this issue you can ask them to ensure that they have updated their EISCD for their DD system. They can also validate it by putting Monzo’s sort code into an online sort code checker (e.g. https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/checker.html) which confirms that Monzo are live, and can accept DD, Faster Payments, Chaps & BACS payments.

7 Likes

FWIW:
Capital One - no problems updating online
Centrepoint Charity - no problems updating by phone
Virgin Active - no problems updating by phone (“Who are Monzo? I’ve never heard of that one before…”)

It’s good of you to share this Phil but rather than lots of users adding lists like yours, it’s probably quicker for users to check this Wiki to see whether they’re likely to run into issues switching their Direct Debit. As hopefully there will be a very long list of merchants that allow us to switch without any issues!

I have changed mine, done it online but took a while to show up in the recurring payments window (maybe 4 days).

1 Like

Update: my ‘old-skool’ credit card (MBNA) direct debit came through on the app today so all credit to them for keying in the form I posted on Sunday so quickly!
7 direct debits successfully transferred so far, no offenders to add to the wiki yet…

Ah, fair enough. I didn’t see the wiki as I was simply reading down the list of topics.

Not sure about the GoCardless note re Tonik; I use GoCardless for collecting from customers, so I’m setting up a mandate to test with internally.

1 Like

Cheers. The weirdest bit is that the DD appears as a recurring payment in the app so something is getting lost along the way.

I had an issue switching my American Express DD in the app but after ringing them they were able to change it there and then and it’s showing up in the app!

1 Like

How soon should I expect DD to appear under reoccurring payments?

Some direct debits appear within a few days, whereas others only appear when the first payment is taken. I don’t have an answer to why this is…

1 Like

Did you DD go through mine failed this month :scream: and got an email to say

Yup all came out fine.

5260B0B0-5C6B-4C43-96EE-A43CDD362A7A

3 Likes

Just got them to send a DD mandate through hopefully it work next month :pray:

1 Like

So I am in process of manually switching my direct debits to Monzo. The most frustrating thing I found is waiting time over the phone despite managing my accounts online several companies insist you give them a call to make this change.
TV Licence, Hyperoptic broadband, Paypal and Barclaycard were easiest (Done Online). :clap:

I made a call to RateSetter and they updated my DD in an instant. Had to wait a couple of minutes on the line prior to this but no bother – the waiting music was steady enough.

Changing mine was not fun. I almost wish I had waited until the full switching services was available. To summarise:

• Mortgage company - used their secure message service, was fine.
  • Energy supplier - needed to use their secure (live) chat. Fine, but slow and tedious.
  • Regular ISA investments - posted a form. Easy.
  • Council tax - did it online, but the website only has instructions for setting up a direct debit, so half of me is expecting the existing one won’t be cancelled and I’ll end up paying twice…
  • Wine subscription - despite being the oldest company ever, they are the only ones where I could do it online with confidence and without interacting with anyone. Unfortunately, however, I have two linked accounts and have only been able to change one of them, and they haven’t replied to my email, so I might actually have to pick up a phone…

My salary should be coming into Monzo CA next week, which means that’s everything ported over. Fingers crossed everything goes in and out smoothly over the next month!

Adam

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Friendly names for Direct Debits