Depositing Cash & Cheques

Cheque imaging goes online on 30th October, although the press releases have been less than forthcoming on how big the rollout is (‘some’ banks could be 2 branches in London for all we know…).

Hopefully Monzo get in early so there’s less of this mucking around with post. I’d rather sit on a cheque until it’s ready at this point… they’re valid for 6 months anyway.

2 Likes

Yes Monzo, let’s be ‘Fintech’ and get cheque imaging enabled quickly.

2 Likes

Afaik, Monzo don’t actually process their own cheques. If you look at the FPS website:
So, unfortunately I don’t think it will be up to them as to whether they do this or not :frowning:

(Also, I would guess the reason they don’t clear their own cheques is down to security: you require a large machine and dedicated connection plus physical building security to actually clear cheques)

Yes Monzo, let’s be ‘Fintech’ and refuse to accept cheques. If we accept them we will help prolong their slow demise. If more banks, companies, and customers refuse them we could speed up their much needed demise

1 Like

I would love to but British Gas insist they have no ability to use Faster Payments to give my my FIT payments and always send a cheque

When I did it, it took a little longer than 5 days. My guess is that its outsourced.

I’m all for the demise of cheques, but they still crop up from time to time - especially from large legacy institutions - and it’s getting harder and harder to get them processed - they’re a flaming nuisance.

I appreciate they’re edge cases, but while cheques are a possibility, I couldn’t commit 100% to any bank (Monzo) that couldn’t process them.

Cheque imaging somewhat removes that - from the 30th banks won’t be passing around physical cheques any more, just images of them (which is why they’ll start clearing in 24 hours). Monzo could just say ‘no physical cheques, send a photo’ and drop it straight onto the clearing system, which is just software.

I appreciate they have other priorities at the moment though :stuck_out_tongue: Cheques are a perennial pain in the arse to deal with… I’ll probably open a basic account with the first bank that does proper imaging just to have a means of depositing them.

2 Likes

When was the last time you actually recieved a cheque?

Mine was early part of this year when I won a prize in the Sports and Social Club monthly draw. Luck rather than judgement.

On average I probably recieve one cheque per annum.

Unfortunately not. The physical cheque is always required (to prevent fraud).
Additionally, Monzo can’t do anything with cheques - at the moment it all goes through a third party.

I received 7 from a share dealing company last week. Before that, a utilities refund 2 weeks earlier. It happens, no matter how much I wish it wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Wow! I feel sorry for you. Don’t people know this is the 21st century? :hushed:

That’s partly what this change is all about: https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information-hub/faqs/cheque-imaging

The law has changed so the physical cheque is no longer required - https://www.parliament.uk/documents/impact-assessments/IA14-20G.pdf

It will be interesting to see if the large businesses that annoy us with cheques now cease to do so… I strongly suspect they only do it to delay the payment of the money as long as possible. With them clearing in a day or faster that incentive is removed (as far as I can tell there’s nothing actually stopping a cheque clearing as fast as a faster payment, other than the implementation).

Tell the US government… Tax refunds are annoyingly slow USD cheques every damn time !!

They’ll still get the benefit of sending cheques in the post - think how much money these large organisations earn in deposit interest when the funds should already be in our accounts.

I paid in a cheque today.

DVLA refund for road tax after a car sale. They’ll quite happily take it by direct debit but seemingly can’t work out how to pay it back in any non-physical manner.

(They did at least have the good grace to cancel the direct debit at the same time.)

1 Like

I pay monthly. No need to renew every year. When you notify DVLA that the car is sold they stop taken further DD payments so no refund to process.

1 Like

Update to the B (Yorkshire Bank) app today…

Screenshot_20171115-115519

3 Likes

I used the update in the B app (on iOS) some three days ago and the money from the cheque is credited in my account within two days. The cheque is sitting on the mantelpiece downstairs still.

Barclays have also launched in-app cheque deposit for other banks but only for the users who are in their test group at the moment.