✅ Custom Category Creation

Great! Hope to see it soon in the app haha

This would be really useful! But as above its been suggested a lot- keep an eye on the roadmap. It may appear

Dylan

Hey Charlie,

Unfortunately Monzo won’t be adding the option to add custom categories any time soon. They’ve made a deliberate decision to only provide standard categories so that they can share insights with you later on like “users who travel your journey on the train at 8am, rather than 8:30am, save x% per month on transport costs” (by avoiding off peak fares).

Hugo gave a more detailed explanation here -

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-multi-category-transactions/649/13

in the meantime, I add a :beer: to my transactions from nights out which you can search for, to see the number of transactions & amount spent, in the Home tab.

Lastly, just to mention, the categories are being reviewed in a couple of months so if there’s any others that you need, it’s worth mentioning them.

Furthermore, could there be an option to create our own labels? The most popular could auto-suggest like hashtags on Twitter.

This is a popular request but I’m afraid it’s not going to be delivered in the foreseeable future, check out this post for more…

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-7/6461/5?u=alexs

But

so yes, Monzo could potentially create a category for Education.

Original title of this post was “Create Education Category for Spending”.

1 Like

Great! Cheers Alex - you guys reply fast I like it!

1 Like

@RyanNile Hey Ryan, custom tags for categories is a really popular request, but we’re figuring out a smart way to do this which would work for everyone. There’s a little more information in the attached post which should give you a better idea of where we’re at with this.

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-1/649/14

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’m not sure if somebody has already posted this or whether it even already exists on iOS (I’m using the Android app), but it would be great if we could create our own spending categories.

For example, I want to specifically monitor or limit how much money I spend on Coffee or in Coffee shops, so I create a category specifically for coffee, tell Monzo that said purchase (say in a local independent coffee shop) is coffee and then all future purchases with the same vendor could automatically be tracked accordingly.

Another idea (probably already on here multiple times, but i’ll add my interest) it would also be great if we could break down our cash withdrawals into the spending categories and have these reflected on the spending screen too (plus in any future functions such as targets and money pots/virtual accounts).

Have only had my card for a couple of days, but I’m really impressed so far! Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Just using the search function on here brought up at least 10 other posts titled Custom Categories, so yes it has been discussed before.

I won’t repeat all their comments here but if you click on the frying pan logo above (which looks a bit like a magnafying glass) and search for “custom categories” you will find entries like Custom Categories 2 or Custom Categories 9…as people have duplicated the same idea or posted something similar. It does seem very popular but look in some of these posts for the issues around it and Monzo’s comments

A search will also find posts about “Splitting Cash Withdrawals into Several Categories”

Yes! Would be great to be able to split out drinking from eating out for instance, so I can see whether I’m going to the pub too often or if I just need to take sandwiches to the office more.

Since I’m assuming that any new categories will be added for both the iOS & Android apps, I’ve renamed & recategorised this post.

Here’s my most recent comment, from this series which more details on custom categories -

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-11/6799/2?u=alexs

So it is happening then. In a month?

I’m pretty sure that the review means new / changed categories, rather than adding the option for users to be able to add their own custom categories.

Whenever I’ve said that a custom categories feature won’t be added in the foreseeable future, Hugo’s liked my post (& he doesn’t like many posts ;)).

This has probably been mentioned but it would be amazing to create your own sub categories for the preset ones. For example in holidays to have the option to group spending by specific location. So you know how much you spent in each place. In transport would be good to see how much one spends on Uber and TFL separately. In shopping grouping clothes shopping away from present shopping or things for th house etc. Anyway you get the idea.

PS. Loving Monzo (can I have a job) :grinning:

Best,
Vanya

1 Like

If you had used the search function (the magnifying glass or frying pan type logo on the menu bar) and searched for Custom Categories you will see it has been suggested about 13 times or more, so your suggestion is quite popular.

1 Like

Hey Vanya!

This is one of our most requested features, but we’re still figuring out a smart way to do it. There are a number of considerations and trade offs to think about when it comes to introducing custom categories, our head designer Hugo explains really well here

At the moment, tagging is currently the best way to group transactions in a way that is searchable :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helps!

Now that more people are using Monzo for their current account, the present categories are feeling a bit limited. I’d like to see Monzo expand them rapidly and hide ones I don’t use. At present I don’t use ‘Cash’ or ‘Holidays’, but misuse some other categories since you can’t add your own :man_shrugging:

Which categories would you most like to see?

• :moneybag: Income
  • :bank: Fees (interest payments, overdraft etc, could include advice on how to avoid debt?)
  • :money_with_wings: Taxes
  • :moneybag: Savings (for withdrawals)
  • :house: Housing
  • :derelict_house: Insurance
  • :ambulance: Health (inc Fitness)
  • :postbox: Postage
  • :gift: Gifts (including Charity)
  • :child: Kids

0 voters

Any more essentials that I’ve missed?

Categories Wishlist

What I’d really like to see long term on categories from Monzo:

• Some more categories please - there is no reason not to just add these now
  • Custom sub-categories (so that monzo can mostly ignore them in their UI and I can use them!)
  • Don’t present categories in a spending report which are not used (are 0)
  • Don’t present certain categories (Saving withdrawals for example) in a spending report at all, as the money is not spent so much as moved around to other pots elsewhere
  • Have targets for savings which reward you rather than scold for reaching them

If you hide the categories which are not used, there’s no reason not to have more of them, and the current set is really starting to feel limited now.

Sub-categories

Sub-categories would be things like Clothing or Toys under Shopping, Drinks under Entertainment, Healthcare, Medicines under Health or Investments and Premium Bonds under Saving say, but crucially users should be able to create them, and then this would relieve any pressure for new categories in future - just make your own sub-category instead. Later Monzo might even suggest some of these based on what users create, and when you go into Shopping say could present your shopping split out into different subcategories rather than just one list, but for now just let users create them please.

Any more ideas you’d like to see under the Spending tab?

8 Likes

Will be interesting to see what categories people want the most.
I think @hugo made a post here highlighting changes coming to the spending tab as well as categories in the next few months, will be interesting to see what ones are included: Breakdown

Charity and investments, fo sho.

2 Likes