✅ Custom Category Creation

Any ideas if there is a Pet category? That way I can see how much my pet is costing for Food :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pets are part of the family so can go under the ‘Family’ category with the tag #bruce :dog:

1 Like

What about a Cat emoji?

:cat:

Well MY pets are more important than that, so I want a Pet category!! :dog: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Just tried setting this up under Family category and tagged with Cat emoji :cat: but it doesnt show up in my Family spend budget!!

Correction: Yes it does, it came under last month’s spend

1 Like

Maybe it’s because dogs are better than cats? :wink:

KIDDING!
(not really…)
(actually I am, all pets are wonderful)

(but dogs are better)

3 Likes

Very true :laughing: My comment was purely to help them now while we’re all patiently waiting for the ability to create our own custom categories.

I personally don’t use categories because of how hard work it is to fit things into the existing ones. Custom categories would help me a lot because I’d actually see how much I’m wasting through having better organisation of my transactions.

3 Likes

Patiently? I think you underestimate me :wink:

2 Likes

Literally, my Monzo feed :joy:

2 Likes

What would add value?

As i mentioned in a separate thread i dont think packages accounts are aimed at me if im honest. I would happily spend some time to research and get myself a better deal on things like insurance or check for discount codes on hotels before purchasing.

What would add value is if like mentioned a while back by tom that monzo used its 3.7m customers as a negotiating power and got deals that were cheaper than what i would get if going direct.

1 Like

Shared, general categories cannot ever work. They are useless to the user because they don’t align sufficiently with any individual’s real-life budget categories. (Examples: pet, childcare, camper van, car.)

They might be useful for data mining, but that doesn’t benefit the user in the slightest.

The reason I switched to Monzo was to take better control of my money. But a year in, I’m in no better position. It’s crazy that this transformative, completely obvious feature still isn’t there - Easily choose a category for every line in my statement. One swipe, one tap. I otherwise like Monzo a lot, but I’m looking round for alternatives. Please, please come on!

Custom tags are just too difficult to use. They also don’t work for all transactions, which makes them… useless!

1 Like

I agree that they are a little restrictive but you can still make them work for most cases.

Pets is a common one and the solution is to add them to the ‘Family’ category with the tag #pets for example :slight_smile:

It is a little frustrating but Monzo are not saying that it can’t or won’t be done. If you have a search around on here you’ll see that they’re not twiddling their thumbs but are actually turning out lots of highly requested features through the feedback we give them. It’s still not quite at the top yet so be sure to vote for it and hopefully it will be next on the list soon :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Does anyone else get no utility out of categories? They should allow custom ones and get rid of the redundant ones (e.g., what distinguishes “general” from “finances”, what distinguishes “finances” from “bills”?). I’d love to be able to use this feature more but half the time I find the categories don’t apply and end up not bothering.

2 Likes

Vote for it at the top :point_up:

If you’re also interested in seeing some of Monzos work on this that has recently been uncovered by some people on here, have a search :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, I searched “category” and “categories” before posting this and it said no results found so I started a new topic.

Heya, stuff being found in the code over here relating to custom category creation. The thinking is it’s likely to be a plus feature given the timing and lack of public updates on both.

1 Like

I meant have a search if you wanted to see the sneak peaks :mag: The reason I didn’t post a link was in case you wasn’t interested or didn’t want to see any spoilers :slight_smile:

To answer your question though. The reason your search for “category” and “categories” didn’t direct you to this topic is because it’s probably a little too vague. Anything like “custom categories”, “more categories”, “new categories” and such will have been better.

It’s not a problem though as a moderator has moved your post now but hopefully it helps you in the future to save you a bit of time and effort :muscle:

Announced as :soon: for Business accounts: