✅ Custom Category Creation

2 Likes

Hi guys, first off I love what you are doing, it’s brilliant, and my experience of the card & app so far has been superb.

I do have one idea - I’d love to see a new Category option for Giving. Doing something as simple as putting it as an option could inspire so many people to think about how much they give. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work

16 Likes

What an amazing category to add! :+1:t5: in the future it would also be interesting to see if donations to charities will be available through :mondo: Mondo like with other banks!

This links back to custom categories:

Something that is certainly needed. :slight_smile:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. In fact I’m sure it has!

I think being able to create custom categories will be very helpful and make mondo even more personable to the user. It will help tracking spending habits that much better.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @williamstrang - Custom categories has been mentioned before and it’s something that I believe Mondo are planning to look into further through the use of tags etc. More information is available on the following threads:

Hope that helps.

RossA

I’ve had Mondo for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love the concept. In terms of spending categories it would be great to have the option to add customised categories.

For example, I would like to keep track of how much I spend at the weekend and would like to lump up certain transactions (e.g. Cash withdrawal, eating out, etc.) under that category. I think most people would like to know when they spent money as well as what they spent money on.

Would be great to create a holiday category for example and drop all transactions made on holiday to see how much it’s been spent.

Not sure if this was already suggested but it’s a feature I’d love to see.

1 Like

Hi, there is already a category for holiday spends. With regards to further categories there are already a few threads talking about this. This currently seems the most popular one:

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-multi-category-transactions/649/5

Yeah that’s what I mean. It doesn’t necessarily have to be holidays. It would be great to just add customised categories. Hopefully it will happen soon :slight_smile:

Id like the ability to add/edit my own spending categories. At present there is a groceries category, but I would like a ‘work’ category to keep track of how much money I spend in work on lunch/coffee. Also I can’t filter by category at the moment to see a total, only by individual payment locations.

3 Likes

I agree with you James, it could be helpful!

Hey guys, love the app at the moment.

I think it would be cool to create your own personal categories for certain purchases- for example I want to track how much I’m spending on nights out, which goes under entertainment, but I’d like a separate category just for nights out.

I think that would be cool! (Also I really need to control my spending on a night out haha).

Also if this also exists I’m sorry, could you tell me how to do it? :joy:

Charlie

Thanks. This has been suggested before, there are 3 other postings on here on that theme, so your idea does have some support

Great! Hope to see it soon in the app haha

This would be really useful! But as above its been suggested a lot- keep an eye on the roadmap. It may appear

Dylan

Hey Charlie,

Unfortunately Monzo won’t be adding the option to add custom categories any time soon. They’ve made a deliberate decision to only provide standard categories so that they can share insights with you later on like “users who travel your journey on the train at 8am, rather than 8:30am, save x% per month on transport costs” (by avoiding off peak fares).

Hugo gave a more detailed explanation here -

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-multi-category-transactions/649/13

in the meantime, I add a :beer: to my transactions from nights out which you can search for, to see the number of transactions & amount spent, in the Home tab.

Lastly, just to mention, the categories are being reviewed in a couple of months so if there’s any others that you need, it’s worth mentioning them.

Furthermore, could there be an option to create our own labels? The most popular could auto-suggest like hashtags on Twitter.

This is a popular request but I’m afraid it’s not going to be delivered in the foreseeable future, check out this post for more…

But

so yes, Monzo could potentially create a category for Education.

Original title of this post was “Create Education Category for Spending”.

1 Like

Great! Cheers Alex - you guys reply fast I like it!

1 Like

@RyanNile Hey Ryan, custom tags for categories is a really popular request, but we’re figuring out a smart way to do this which would work for everyone. There’s a little more information in the attached post which should give you a better idea of where we’re at with this.

2 Likes