Crowdfunding (Upcoming 2018/19 Round) - Updates

Speaking in general terms, shareholders are eligible to be paid a dividend as long as the company is in profit after all expenses (such as bills, taxes, etc), and the majority vote in favour of a resolution to do so.

2 Likes

If you watch the Open Office from April on YouTube there’s a clue (afraid I can’t remember exactly when). Tom says the last round was limited by EU caps on Crowdfunding and he hoped the next would be much bigger.

I think technically the cap is on crowdfunding without a prospectus, so they might have a way around it, definitely didn’t sound like IPO was imminent though.

4 Likes

Yes, although it is rare for pre-IPO startups to pay dividends, as it is more important to grow the business.

4 Likes

*Insert Meme from Futureama - “Shut up and Take my money!”

Where can I invest? and what do I get back?

2 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

@simonb Any news here?

1 Like

Not yet! But soon :grinning:

8 Likes

Has Monzo scaled back its international growth ambitions?
http://www.cityam.com/288338/trading-places-monzo-co-founder-takes-back-seat-make-way

2 Likes

I read this as one of the reason they’ve hired Meri is to help scale the tech. So I see this as a more likely indicator for international expansion.

3 Likes

If memory serves, at the last fund raise Monzo allowed staff to sell some of their shares, this was to (a) allow long term staff to enjoy some of the fruits of their labour and (b) to reduce dilution by churning existing stock.

So for the next fund raise why not do the same thing again, but extend that to all share holders? give everyone the chance to sell (if they want to) to realise some return and allow others to invest whilst reducing dilution.

4 Likes

Looks like crowdfunding regulations have changed. From July 21st companies can crowdfund up to €8m without requiring a prospectus, (up from €5m) :tada:

That’s good news! But I’m hoping Monzo is planning something bigger…

Sounds like they are from yesterdays “goals” announcement

2 Likes

The Brewdog raises are probably the best example of what’s possible. By publishing their own prospectus they went bigger than the now 8 million Euro limit. My issue with those raises (and I own a bit of stock from early on) is that they go on for ages which means that your money is tied up if you invest early and the valuation is changing so much over the course of the raise. A short large raise via prospectus would be optimal IMHO.

It would be really cool if you could invest from within the app and would be great if all users had the opportunity to participate. It is a pain for organisations to have too many investors and more costly than having a couple but Monzo has such a thriving community that perhaps the benefits outweigh the costs in this case.

5 Likes

Any updates on the the crowdfunding?

1 Like

Sooner the better

We will have news soon according to FT.

Monzo poised to join ranks of Europe’s fintech ‘unicorns’

UK digital bank lines up $150m fundraising as it eyes $1.5bn valuation

https://www.ft.com/content/ef54082c-a16a-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4?desktop=true&segmentId=7c8f09b9-9b61-4fbb-9430-9208a9e233c8#myft:notification:daily-email:content

10 Likes

I am looking forward for a new crowdfunding campaing after this recent move. For those like me who have missed the opportunity to become Monzo shareholders. Please Tom, give us good news soon!

2 Likes

https://ft.trib.al/K3Xn07Y

Monzo: gonzo banking

Investors should remember that the UK start-up’s customers are young and stretched

In addition, Crunchbase is reporting an undisclosed amount of funds raised:

Thought it could be because it hasn’t materialized just yet as it cites:

Let’s say there is a crowdfunding round. Will we be allowed to buy the shares ? Or are there specific conditions to do so What price will it be ? Do you have any information about that ?

I’m kind of a newbie, thank you all !