Conveyancing / General Home Buying

Awesome! Congrats!

I hope you’re buying a bag of Daims and meatballs on each IKEA trip.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion but the standard IKEA meatballs are average.

Their chicken meatballs however are god-tier.

1 Like

Great, now I want meatballs for lunch!

A perk of working at home is that I can stick some in the oven and make myself a nice hot sandwich :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve never tried the chicken ones. I’ll add them to the list as I know there is going to be multiple IKEA trips in the coming months!

They are good, but I prefer the “normal” ones to be honest.

I tried the veg ones and they were really dry and a bit bland.

1 Like

In keeping with the furniture.

Had a small hiccup where too if chain collapsed with their choice of new build this has now been resolved. Valuation carried out on our new purchase today and our current property has valuation booked in Friday. Our first time buyer has stipulated they want to exchange contracts 01/07/22 not sure how realistic that is.

1 Like

Where in the chain are they, normally it’s the top that dictates the speed. It will be as realistic as they make it, in terms of other parties and putting the pressure on

I’d have said two months is speedy-ish but do-able.

But I’m on month four :frowning:

1 Like

The chain is as follows new build top of chain. The property we are buying are vendors are buying a property and their vendors are buying the new build. The first time buyer is the bottom of chain and stipules want to exchange by July 2022.

Well anything is possible if the whole chain can make those dates. July 2022 doesn’t seem too unreasonable if you’re at mortgage valuation and survey stage, the latter is what slows things down.

I’d check why they want to exchange by that date, in case that’s when their agreement in principle expires or something like that.

Good Luck!

1 Like

We are plodding along nicely with ours (at the top of the chain cos we’re buying a new build) and the developers have said they want to exchange this month, we started end of Feb but the chain collapsed and then re-formed a week later.

I told them good luck with the searches and sounds like they’ll be putting the pressure on to everyone else so fingers crossed

This is the big difficulty of buying when you are renting, it’s why we went for somewhere with no chain first time.

Probably there is a contract ending and a Landlord saying move out on that date or sign for another year. If they checked the relevant property laws they’d realise ‘overstaying’ the current tenancy agreement is most likely perfectly legal. Difficult to get that message through to them :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea why people choose to move often.

Next time I move it will be in a box!

6 Likes

So many aspects of buying a house have been stressful* but sending large payments through monzo has not been one of them. It’s been easy every time.

*I still don’t really understand how solicitors exist. They seem to have made things so complex that only they understand it. But, scratch the surface, and it seems that they don’t always understand what things mean, or they don’t care what things mean, and they just kinda shuffle some paperwork about, make a few errors, shuffle more paperwork about, insist on witnessed paper signatures, lose some documents, take some annual leave, and then come back to shuffle more paperwork around. Oh, and then they bill someone for it all. Apologies to anyone who works in the business but some of your colleagues have been underwhelming.

3 Likes

I think that’s an incredibly accurate description.

But also missing is… “I think this is with the buyer/other solicitors/estate agent/in the post/ice cream man” and then “That should all be done in the next couple of days”, repeated every couple of days.

5 months in, my patience has long gone, so has the excitement of getting a house.

1 Like

There are some online services that have aimed to resolve this. They show a progress report so you know all the steps and exactly where it is up to, who it is with and what’s holding it up.

You can e-sign things and it just sounds so much easier.

Sadly though, not all conveyancers and estate agents etc are on there.

1 Like

I think they’re only as good as the person updating the progress report though. If someone doesn’t tick the box to say something;s been signed/applied for/posted, then there’s no change really.

I had a dream the other night where the documents were tracked, like they had AirTags built into them so there was no lying possible. I think we’re probably a few years off from that being the reality :smiley:

3 Likes

amen to that, we completed nearly two years ago but if ilog in we’re only 67% complete :joy:

1 Like

We have had more fun the top of the chain had issues with their new build and then chose a new one. We then had our buyer couldn’t get a mortgage as we have cladding but we are in a house. They have managed to get a new mortgage with another lender now.