Contextual transaction dispute process

As a monzo user disputing a transaction,
I want my dispute request to the monzo team to automatically provide details of the transaction I am disputing,
so I dont have to provide this information directly.

To elaborate a bit here, I went to dispute a transaction recently by selecting the transaction, then hitting the “Something wrong? Tell Us” button followed by “I don’t recongise this” button, after that starting a conversation with the monzo support team that I wanted to dispute said transaction, I was surprised to then find the monzo support team did not already know which transaction I wanted to dispute, even though I initiated the conversation from the context of the transaction in question. Its a minor point but it would cut down the resolution time as I then had to wait 1 hour for someone to respond then another hour as I had to provide the details of the transaction to the support team.

Anyone else notice this and thought it would behave differently?

10 Likes

Definitely. From conversations with Monzo staff, this sounds like something that they will be coming back to work on after current accounts roll out and they gain control over their card processing. :thumbsup:

Yep we’re working on this.

It actually does display in one place, but it’s super hidden away and incredibly not obvious. I actually didn’t know for ages, I think most of the team would probably say the same. We’ll work on making it a lot more obvious.

6 Likes

It might be good too that the moment you dispute a transaction you get sent all the data Monzo has about the transaction. (this could be more than you see in the feed. That way you can see if it really is one that you recognise or not.

2 Likes

That’s a cool idea - I’ve often thought something like YouTube’s ‘stats for nerds’ could be useful if you really need to deep dive into something, but equally, the last thing we want is to make Monzo hard to use.

What kind of information would you want from a screen like this? :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi @samw Many “disputes” arise because the customer doesn’t recognise the transaction rather than because they are necessarily rejecting it. This is often because the statement name doesn’t match the name used say on the website at which the purchase was made. While Monzo’s mapping feature can help this is sometimes misleading as retailers postcode can link to a different location like the local Post Office or their head office rather than the branch used.

For example buying something in your local Boots brings up an address of “Somewhere in London E12 9AD” - totally unrelated to where I used my Monzo card.

Providing additional data could help eliminate false but well-intentioned claims which can’t be recognised. The exact date and time of the transaction would help as would anything else that say identifies any website used or other name by which the retailer trades.

I understand that there are 140 plus data elements to each MasterCard transaction most of which are not captured by traditional Banks because of data storage costs. Some of these data elements are likely to help confirm the merchant address etc. and possibly say what was purchased.

Sending all 140 data elements would be overkill of course but there will be some elements which can help expand the useful data Monzo already supplies.

Presenting that info as part of the dispute process before the dispute is made would be even better. e.g. I click on a transaction and have the option to dispute it. If I say I want to dispute the transaction I am given further information about it before being allowed to complete the dispute.

2 Likes

In most cases, the transactions tend to go through as the individual retailers and it’s fairly obvious who they are, but there may be some cases where multiple brands share a common umbrella company or have a different trading name. Something along the lines of the following example might be helpful: “The Inditex Group may be more commonly known by the following brands: Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull&Bear”. (I’m pretty sure those examples do go through under the individual retailers’ names, but I’m using it as an example).

It might also be helpful if there was a similar category to “online transaction” where payments are made in a physical store, but don’t have any geographic identifiers in the statement details.

1 Like