Contactless vs Oyster

This was one of the (minor) reasons I got Monzo! Sadly never got to take advantage of it :disappointed:

I’m eagerly awaiting the day I can “attach” my annual travelcard onto my Monzo bank card. One less card to carry :smile:

8 Likes

I’ll be very happy if the Pots feature can ring fence monthly travel money and have TfL transactions come out of that sum, then I’d probably switch to using my Monzo card as my travel card. Until then, I’ll buy a monthly pass as I don’t trust myself not to accidentally make a big purchase and end up having to leave two hours early every day to get the bus to work for the last week of the month! :laughing:

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: TFL App - A step in the right direction

What offices? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::unamused:

2 Likes

I always use Oyster as I have a national railcard discount linked to it which gives me 1/3 of all off-peak journeys/all travel made after 9:30am/all daily caps. If there was a way of applying this discount through a contactless card such as my Monzo I would definitely use this instead.

3 Likes

I agree completely. I was just going to say the same thing exactly. If my railcard was linked to my contactless I would have no need for oyster

2 Likes

Yes, huge numbers of London travellers have Railcards of various sorts. Unfortunately you simply can’t load the big off-peak and capping benefits onto Master- or Visa-cards at the moment. Actually Oyster seems to generally ‘ping’ a bit quicker than MasterCards.

Never thought of that before re: less transactions and delayed transactions - I just accepted a busy feed. Might consider your method

1 Like

As an infrequent visitor to London the use of Monzo rather Oyster is so much easier. As an experiment recently my wife used her existing Oyster and I Monzo. She hadn’t used the card for some time so had to check the balance and top up and finding a machine without a queue wasn’t easy then all the top up faff. Meanwhile the Monzo card worked flawlessly. The only improvement I would like to see (but guess it is not possible due to the way data is handled) is to check a journey ‘exit’ had been recorded which can be done with the Oyster there and then. Slightly strange not getting billed until a couple of days later but not an issue, Just so used to the immediate “ching” on my phone when I use Monzo. So for casual users so much better than Oyster. Cheers.

You should be billed around 3am the day after you entered the network :slight_smile:

Hi Hugh,

I looked back and I was charged three times on a Monday for travel on the tube on the previous Friday, Saturday & Sunday so i guess the billing doesn’t happen over the weekend?

Cheers

Should be but doesn’t

filefile1file2

1 Like

Price wise it is the same with 1 difference. Contactless guarantees you price cap at the cheapest rate. The difference is for those who buy weekly tickets which assume 7 days but in reality only use it Mon-Fri. In that scenario contactless is cheaper. Convenience wise , bank cards only means one less thing to forget. Contactless wins!

As someone who travels to work during the week, contactless would be hundreds of pounds more than an annual travel card. Until annual fare capping is available with an annual gold card I shall be sticking with Oyster.