Chromebook buying advice

They’d be fine for most of the people I know. Of course then I wouldn’t get a steady stream of £ to fix relatives Windows problems, but I’d gladly forego the money to never have to deal with Windows again.

If they crop up on Amazon for £100 again I’ll pick one up to play with and then it’ll probably go to my mother to replace her ancient Thinkpad T61 running Ubuntu MATE.

I gave my mother a chromebook and she hasn’t needed support since (well there was the time PC World sold her a windows only printer after she went in asking for a printer compatible with her chromebook…)

So either she’s not had any problems since or she’s decided never to call me for support again after I lumbered her with the chromebook… win win either way :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This! The impression here is that they’re almost throwaway machines.

It’s a bit of a strange one, I guess no Chromebook really can run a web browser too much better than another (can it?) so you’re paying a premium for decent hardware, but the hardware you’re getting for the price is not as good as a comparable windows machine. It’s a dilemma when you don’t want a windows machine but don’t want a flimsy Chromebook either.

I think ultimately I will either go for the Asus C302, wait for the Google hardware event that @iptoriga suggested or just not bother and wait for a bit and see what comes up.

In my experience, what paying a premium price gets you is:

better screen (larger and/or higher resolution)
metal body (instead of plastic body)

That’s about it really.

It’s not so much that they’re throwaway machines, but the intention is for you to be able to do the basics on them; so, web browsing, email, documents, spreadsheets. Maybe a bit of streaming video. But that’s more or less it, really.

Photo editing? Video editing? Games? Anything computationally intensive, a Chromebook isn’t going to cut it. If you’re looking at a top-line Chromebook for the power, then you’d actually be better off looking to the ‘real’ laptops instead. Otherwise you have to ask why you’re looking to pay a premiun for little added functionality.

Sure, a metal body is nice. But does it actually add functionality? Is it worth the extra cost?

I’ve an Acer R11 and I’m very happy with it. Does what I want it to and cost me a pittance compared to almost every other option I was looking at at the time.

1 Like

The Pixelbook is £749 ATM if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Still tempted, but I can’t shake the fact that it was/is $750 in the US and with the exchange rate that’s like £580. The price difference will pay for a good chunk of the flight to go get it :joy:

You’d be better off getting a Surface laptop and then just installing Google Chrome tbf

It was an extra 10% off that at Best Buy last weekend and i still resisted. Think I should have just pulled the trigger now.

1 Like

Is the US price with taxes added as well?

Depends where you go.

In Oregon, where I used to live (and still have family), there’s no sales tax.

1 Like

Dont buy a chromebook. Chrome OS is still half baked and needs more development. Better get a windows device or an iPad or you can also get tablets like the galaxy s4 from samsung.

I’m liking the OS 70 update. My Asus Flip’s tablet mode looks a bit more appealing now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finally ordered a C302ca and just waiting for it to arrive from Amazon :sunglasses:

Wish google would hurry up with the slate :stuck_out_tongue: