Cash Deposits

This.

And I think the £1 fee is taking advantage of that.

4 Likes

Starling are covering the cost by charging business customers to use the facility. Monzo don’t have that option

3 Likes

Maybe. But I’d be interested to know how much Monzo makes out of me as a customer, then if I deposit say a few hundred quid a few times a year how much that knocks off their profit. I suspect they’d still be in the black from me …

Better approach surely to not charge but charge those that overuse the facility?

Just a thought.

2 Likes

I guess I see it differently in that this isn’t even something Monzo has to do.

They could just say ‘No’ but they’re trying for a middle path instead which is fair enough in one respect. We don’t have to use it, we don’t have to approve of it and we’re no worse off than we were yesterday.

Edit: To the later post, aren’t we all profitable to the tune of £3 a year or something now?

4 Likes

Make cash deposits fair cheap and as easy as possible like post office and paypoint and maybe payzone as another option but payzone isn’t as popular but you shouldn’t restrict what you can do and charge high for the privilage

If you have some time take a look at this:

In there is a slide showing average revenue and costs per customer. If we’re lucky, someone will be along with a graphic pulling those stats out specifically… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That’s what’s on offer here isn’t it? From all we’ve been told they’re using one of those places and passing on the costs. The charges aren’t high, they’re just high enough not to make a loss on the deposit. I think I’m missing your point?

1 Like

Cash deposits should be cheep enough so that they don’t penalise customers by loosing them money and make sure customers can pay money in without reduculous limits that limit the use of cash deposits

OK. That’s a different point to the one you made above which I was responding to.

OK, I was wrong. It’s £1.70 per year profit per account it seems. Two cash deposits each wipes that out!

2 Likes

Middle path punishes all equally so isn’t fair in my view.

Perhaps me and you don’t have to use it but not to, or to pay, would be an inconvenience. And much more to others, especially those who are paid in cash.

May I suggest something here? This move isn’t transparent in terms of we are told what the deal is, not given options such as was the case for foreign fees.

I think Monzo needs to stop, consult and restart here. This - again, in my view - is not good enough.

1 Like

They have asked if the deal can be published I believe. Obviously, the other company may not agree.

Fair is a difficult word in this context. Who should pay to make it fair? (That isn’t a dig, but I don’t have an answer.) If Monzo pay and the business fails as a result, is that fairer?

4 Likes

True. But say you have a small percentage using the facility rarely then as a majority of customers you are still in profit.

And as that average revenue per customer rises through the marketplace that £1.70 will rise.

Isn’t that why they’ve promised to see how it’s used and review the charge?

4 Likes

It’s a fair point. Totally fair.

What I’d argue is that there should be a low limit and those who use th facility more should pay. But I’m sure others will have other views. And, because of this, I think those views and options should be heard rather than the fait au accompli being forced on us.

Start with a charge and the chances are it’ll stay …

3 Likes

I’ve seen banks add charge for something it normally stays I never hear of charges being abolished yet

1 Like

I feel like this topic has descended into a very dark place…

1 Like

We’ve recently become profitable per customer. That’s what the £1.70 refers to.

It doesn’t account for our fixed costs. We are still quite a way off from being profitable as a company. Hence the recent investment, which allows us to continue towards that goal for a while longer.

6 Likes

You see, this is where I get confused. I’ve never consulted with Tesco and Sainsbury’s, NatWest and Lloyd’s, M&S and Debenhams so their prices are thus ‘forced on us’ in exactly the same way. Yet there isn’t the same response. Why is this different?

5 Likes

I would make the point though a good recommendation from an existing customer is worth alot more than the £3/4 you make off a person from the cash deposits.

Personally im definitely more hesitant to suggest monzo to my friends than i was a month ago.

3 Likes