Card not accepted because "Monzo is not a UK bank"

I think it’s just a bit of a cultural relic, some people would have absolutely no problem doing it particularly if they visit that pub or bar regularly. I wouldn’t do it either.

4 Likes

I think in days gone by it might have saved the merchant a few pence on card transaction fees, for example if the processing fee was 1% + 15p per transaction. A group of people ten rounds deep and possibly consuming food too will have been cheaper to process in a one-off settling of a tab.

I’m not sure if this is still a thing or not though.

The thing was it used to save you doing a card transaction every round of drinks with a signature, but that was before contactless, now it is quick to pay every time using Mastercard PayPass

1 Like

I do it all the time in my local. I just find it quicker than paying for one pint at a time. I just have to stand at the end of the bar and a pint magically appears every time :smiley:.

Probably wouldn’t do it anywhere I wasn’t very familiar with though…

2 Likes

Samsung Pay is pretty quick too, as I’m sure you’d agree. :stuck_out_tongue: :+1: Off-topic much?

3 Likes

Sounds good. Don’t they not trust you enough to not take a card hostage?

1 Like

I always leave my card behind the bar :slight_smile:

Hey Anarchist

I’ll spend all evening trying to work out those three negatives :laughing:

2 Likes

When did my topic turn into a conversation about pints and pubs? SMH :joy:

3 Likes

Just checking everyone’s sober :beer:

2 Likes

No, but to be fair I wouldn’t trust me either. I’ve left a few times after one too many forgetting to settle my tab :expressionless:

2 Likes

Dunno, but the important thing is - it did.

I’ve left a couple of times leaving behind a “current account” card, and in both cases they were out of luck if it wasn’t for me calling and paying it off as the cards themselves were either frozen or closed accounts.

I’m really not sure why they still think a piece of plastic entitles then to some money, or that people (especially the fraudsters they want to defend against) would actually care about getting back a card instead of just getting a replacement from their bank the next day. :joy:

I still do it as some Banks allow you to turn off Contactless via the app. Therefore no need to worry about that.

They had a £5 minimum on card. Only thing I could do was setup a tab at the time. They require you to leave your card with them to do that.

1 Like

Do the police do anything with those awful Monzo users? I hope so because they could ruin it for the rest of us :disappointed:

I mean, I will boycott any place that doesn’t accept Monzo, but if the police don’t do anything about people stealing from them, I can’t blame them for being weary.

Having said all of that, what’s different about Monzo? Why are people only doing this with Monzo and not other banks, considering you could in theory leave your card behind the bar and transfer all your funds out of it on a mobile app with several banks?

We’ve not had any reports of it happening on the current account. Having your name on the front of the card is likely a big part of it.

4 Likes

Based on the fact that police rarely turn up for anything nowadays I doubt that they would do anything other than give you a crime ref number over the phone, they might investigate if it was a large sum though maybe possibly…

Nah I doubt it too :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I’ve never been asked to leave my actual card. I’d refuse and go elsewhere if they insisted.

I have had them do some kind of pre-authorisation on my card though, so they can still charge it if you do a runner.

But most places I go to just work on trust.

2 Likes

Some places pre-auth some leave in that safe thing at the back and you have the key and some old school places just leave it in a glass near the spirits