Business Expenses Trip

I was thinking it would be amazing if monzo had some kind of report designer on their new webUI that allowed you to import or design your company expenses form, and leave place markers for the values and receipt photos, so after a trip, you simply export your own report pre filled.

I’m usually too lazy to make snaller claims, as it’s a nightmare filling all the forms in, so either save them all up to make a big claim, or wait for an overnight trip, where it is more than 100 quid. This would make it super quick and easy.

2 Likes

I’ve just had a play with it myself, it’s really interesting.
I can add a button widget but I can only transfer money between pots as an action. I’d like to make all transactions ‘expense’ when on and transfer the amount in sterling from a pot. I guess they will open up the actions in time.
It’s exciting stuff.

I’ve just had a play with Expensify.
I tried to upload x2 Receipts. They’ve been scanning for 20minutes. I doubt they’ll get the info.
From what I can tell, UK customers can’t synch their creditcard (Barclaycard no longer offer the service)
The smart scanning software is to find the merchant. We already have this with Monzo.
I am still of the opinion that Monzo can do a bad-ass job of this with the tools they’ve got. All the ingredients are there.
The IFTTT route looks the best at the moment but Monzo need to open up more access.
The search goes on

1 Like

Update:
Last week I had half a hangover and 8hrs in the airport lounge. Rather than tackle any of the mounting jobs I have I decided to spend the entire time procrastinating about the best way to complete expenses.
I tried loads of expenses apps. The reports are nice and some have extra features that companies may need but ultimately the information input is an automatic document reader or manual entry. Monzo already has this info.
I had a play with IFTTT. It’s a convoluted set-up but seemed to work pretty well last week.
If I add a document (receipt) to an item marked (expenses), I automatically receive an email to my Gmail account.
I set up a Gmail account for expenses.
Shoeboxed is an app that links with Gmail. If it sees an email with a receipt it automatically adds it to your profile.
I couldn’t produce a pdf report from the Shoeboxed mobile app but all the receipts were there when I logged into the desktop viewed.
The report is really nice.
It would be even nicer if it automatically populated with the data.
I’ve made myself an excel template for the data I need. I can paste in the data from the CSV export in the ‘import sheet’ and see the data as I want it on my ‘expenses sheet’. Monzo have recently changed the export, it no longer allows you to filter for ‘expenses’…which is a step backwards and really annoying.

I still need to email Monzo everytime I go on an overseas trip (twice a month) and ask them to email me a letter that shows my statement items with local currency on.

The whole thing is a fudge and I can’t wait till someone at Monzo sorts it out.

So how would you do this with a.n.other legacy bank?

I’m guessing a legacy bank is Barclays etc?
I had a barclaycard before. I was able to categorise each item and then export those items into a statement. The statement included the foreign exchange rate. I could only do it from the desktop application and it was really cumbersome and annoying. I could not add receipts (at the time, they may do now)
I love Monzo especially the user interface and access from my mobile.
I don’t think anyone (legacy bank or other) can do this the way I’m proposing, I think Monzo could. I think people would find it useful.

OK, it seemed to be something I’ve not come across before but I was reading into your words the implication that it was a function you had with a current account elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn’t put expenses through my current account so it’s not something I’d be looking for but I don’t know how others work.

It’s not my current account. I decided to use Monzo as my expenses card/account. I don’t see why it can’t work as a current account and expenses card. The more I use it the more I like it.

I don’t know of any card in the UK that allows you to attach a photo of your receipt via the mobile app, categorise the purchase and export a pdf report.
If there is, I will sign up. If there’s not, then Monzo should do it.

1 Like

Do you need the PDF export to include the attachments?

That is the dream

It doesn’t sound that hard to be fair - Although with Monzo shying away from business accounts, I wonder if someone with more focus (Starling) will end up with this implementation first.

1 Like

Ideally, I would like to see:

• The ability to de-skew a photo of a receipt in a similar way to Office Lens
  • The ability to export all transactions marked as “Expenses” to PDF.

I’m sure many companies would prefer to pay a lot less handling fees compared to credit cards. I only use my Amex card for business when travelling abroad and they are crazy charges!

1 Like

Nightmare
I asked Monzo to produce a statement for me to show the local currency amount. They’ve done this many times now.
I submitted the statement with my claim.
My claim got rejected because half of the items had the Euro and GBP the wrong way round.
So frustrating.
Totally appreciate Monzo producing letters for me and I’m as prone to an error as much as the next person. If this was automated I would have £200 in my account.
We need to be able to export ‘expenses’ as a pdf and it needs to show local currency or for-ex rate.

Nightmare indeed. I applaud your perseverance in using Monzo for business expenses, and I know you aren’t asking for advice, but:

I’d advise anyone who regularly is expected to use their own money for their employer’s expenses to use a credit card, preferably one set up for this purpose. That way it’s not your money which is being spent, and if you are reimbursed quickly, it never will be.

Good luck! :+1:

I invite and appreciate any advice. I never had to do this in my last job.

I used to use a credit card. I’m able to request an advance so really it makes no difference.

If I’m being honest, I’m not that fussed about the delayed refund I was just trying to add some drama to the topic.

However; as you raised the point. I don’t know of any creditcard that allows you to add Receipts to each purchase.

I’ve been trying out a few apps during my airport hours (i could have learned a language with the hours I’ve wasted on this)
Revolut: does not allow you to add Receipts to purchase
Expensify: only scans the receipt. Pointless
Starling: as far as I can see I can’t attach a receipt and export a report
Monzo: Allows Receipts to be added in-app and COULD allow us to create a pdf expenses report with Receipts…but it doesn’t yet

Revolut Android app definitely has attach receipt option

I only tried a transfer, maybe I need to make a payment.
Can you export the receipts in a report?

You’re right
…and it adds a receipt to the statement

Bye Bye Monzo
:wave::wave:

I’ve jumped the gun there. I don’t think they do add receipts to statements.

I’ll persevere with Monzo

1 Like

From what I can tell. Revolut allows you to create a statement for each individual purchase. Attached documents are exported with the individual statement. They’re not added to the final statement