Bunq Discussion & Feedback

So we have threads about N26, Revolut etc… but there wasn’t a dedicated thread for Dutch FinTech/Neo-bank Bunq until now :slight_smile:

I know they are not in the UK and I have not seen any announcement from them to come to the UK in near future. I opened a free account with them a while ago which to just try and see what are they all about. I must say I have been really impressed with their ethics, community and some amazing features.

They offer all the typical Fintech bank features like instant notification, no paper etc… They are big in that they don’t play with customers money and will not invest unethically. They offer bunq.me but unlike Monzo, it’s very restrictive. Their basic free account does not come with a debit card, you’ll have to pay a monthly fee to get the full feature account which comes with group accounts and access to API.

I think Monzo could learn a lot from Bunq and would love to see some of their features in Monzo. There are things which Monzo is doing better than them already.

7 Likes

A few screenshots from Bunq app

Screenshot_20180802-103429
Screenshot_20180802-103701
Screenshot_20180802-103745
Screenshot_20180802-103852__01

1 Like

I also have a bunq account and I agree, their app has great features and the bank good ethics. I really like you can have up to 25 full accounts with them and wish Monzo would go in this direction with pots.

https://sjc3.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/monzo/optimized/2X/5/597a73d82998f5e8c55ab4a7a6aac3d2fec9fd30_1_230x500.jpg

If bunq came to the UK, I would probably make it my main billing account at least, if I didn’t want to pay the fee. Monzo hasn’t even taken my main billing account yet!

3 Likes

They have a limit for Dodgy payments?

1 Like

Screenshot_20180802-105149

They explain a bit what they class as dodgy :grinning:

1 Like

It’s a bit of a weird thing to call it though isn’t it?

1 Like

Didn’t they do some kind of authentication where you had to scan your hand?

3 Likes

They also have a very nice card (which is why I signed up) in portrait mode, controversially image

8 Likes

Do you get both a Maestro and Mastercard when you sign up, or do you get to choose?

Mastercard acceptance is pretty low in rural parts of Holland, and Maestro is more common, so I know when they first started, Maestro was the only option.

6 Likes

You can have either or or both. They offer you 3 cards and you can pick or choose.

2 Likes

The app looks more polished than monzo but not quite as good as n26

Can you open an account with them if you live in England?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland…

3 Likes

What would be the one thing about them that other fintechs in the UK don’t have?

1 Like

Real accounts rather than Pots or Goals that have no account numbers

Multiple cards if you need more than one

Two PINs per card so you can withdraw from any combination of two accounts (think main account and one Pot)

Only issue is they do NOT do £ accounts…only €

7 Likes

This looks like a good option fo those looking for Euro denominated cards (no pesky DCC) before Starling launches their Euro accounts ( and hopefully cards with Euro as a base currency) :yum:

2 Likes

You can also do this :point_down: which really cool. Not sure about the laws on UK and if this can be implemented by Monzo sometime in future. @Rika would you please check if UK banks can do something like this… :thinking:

Screenshot_20180803-090921

6 Likes

Be wary of Bunq if you’re just exploring.

I’ve been charged £8 after my first “free” month. Apparently ordering a bank card is a “premium” feature.

It wasn’t at all clear at the time, considering the dozens of banks I’ve had have all come with a free bank card :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Do they do overdrafts?

1 Like