Broadband: Which providers have the best deals?

Hyperoptic have fibre to premises so yes it should be possible. Where I live fiber is in the garages under flats and then normal network cable to the flat but was able to get more than 1GB before I downgraded to 15MB.

Looks like Virgin Media are increasing the availability of their 350MB package.

1 Like

Yeahh they are :slight_smile: when I spoke to them on the phone before… they said they are getting rid of the 50MB package and moving everyone to 100MB free… and having 100MB, 200MB and 350MB packages :slight_smile:

1 Like

My contract is probably up for renewal so I’ll see if I can twist their arm into getting both a speed bump AND a price decrease :smiley:

Good luck with that one :wink: be interesting to know your outcome!

1 Like

You should be in luck. I’ve always found Virgin Media to be pretty responsive to haggling compared to other companies.

2 Likes

Which is sad when you think about it. A good company with a solid product shouldn’t need to haggle. :wink:

All sorted. Got my speed bumped from 200 to 300, new Superhub and TV box, and for a fiver less than I was paying before :muscle:

4 Likes

You are lucky. My local BT exchange I think runs on yoğurt pots connected by string.

3 Likes

My Mum really needs to get her finger out and complain to Zen. She really shouldn’t be getting only 3-4.5Mbps.

The main issue is that Barrow is at the end of nowhere, so we don’t have Virgin or really any other ‘fibre’ product readily available :frowning:

Which reminds me: you can actually run broadband in that way …

2 Likes

No doubt the scammers will be selling that as “fibre” just like they do with current DSL. :joy:

2 Likes

HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!! I might need to ring them up I think :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just a quick update on Virgin Mobile. My expectations weren’t high to begin with but they are truly the worst - if I had a quid for each time I get transferred while being on the phone with them I’d be rich. :joy:

There is absolutely no continuity between the calls - the monkeys can’t pass around notes or anything, and caller ID seems to be lost between transfers. You’d think that of all the companies, the phone company should be in the best position to know who you are since you’re using their own phone to call them.

Oh and best of all, they don’t support call forwarding - an elementary feature built into pretty much every mobile network in the past 20 years - even the cheapest telco “magic box” you can buy supports it. This isn’t mentioned anywhere on their pages, so beware. I’m waiting for a final response from them in writing to take this up to the Ombudsman Services as the idiots still want me to fork over 150£ for non-existent service, since my only way to take out and “forward” the number was to port the number, thus cancelling the plan and incurring early termination fees.

Virgin Mobile is probably one of the best/worst examples of an MVNO trying to get away with the bare minimum.

The problem is that the major carriers control so much of the market, that you really save very little money by using an MVNO and you get a much lower quality of service.

Many of them still don’t offer 4G - in 2018! Virgin Mobile only began offering it in Nov 2016 - a full 4 years after EEE introduced it.

The other thing is that they’re completely at the mercy of the host carrier, who might well change the terms of service or pull the plug whenever they want to (obviously this is as per their agreements, but the expiration/renewal of a MVNO deal with a host means absolutely nothing to the customer of the MVNO).

2 Likes

The problem is that the major carriers control so much of the market, that you really save very little money by using an MVNO and you get a much lower quality of service.

Yep, which is a shame as it also prevents new players from innovating. But I agree that unless you have specific requirements (multiple numbers, dedicated IPs, etc) that can only be covered by a business-grade MVNO, better just stick to the main players. Consumer-grade MVNOs are all bad and are in even more of a race to the bottom than the host networks themselves.

1 Like

I had high hopes but their internet is just awful, Siri on iPhone just doesn’t work to name one thing.

The data plane sometimes completely collapses during peak hours from what I noticed, and Siri is censored, either maliciously (but why? It’s really not data-hungry compared to Netflix or YouTube) or accidentally (someone bought the “censorship” magic box and didn’t read the manual properly).

1 Like

A Lot of people I know seem happy with ID Mobile

I very nearly switched to them from 3 until I noticed that tethering wasn’t supported. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve stuck with O2 for that reason

A little negotiating and a fantastic deal was struck

1 Like