Beyond metal cards. I want an NFC Payment Ring McClear

I’ll just stick with my phone thanks.

That ring looks naff and if you have other rings, it will just detract from those in my opinion.

What’s the security like on one of those rings? Likelihood of being hacked?

No contact needed (aka ‘contactless’)- hover above the POS terminal for a second or two.

One thing to consider about carrying only contactless payment methods (phone/ring/mini-card) is if you are going to somewhere for a refund, most POS terminals usually require the physical card :monzocard: (with PIN) to be able to issue a refund against a previous sale.

1 Like

Not in my experience. I’ve never been asked for a physical card for a refund. Only yesterday I had a refund in a shop to my Apple Watch in a store for goods bought online.

I once had a store assistant mention that a refund wouldn’t work to my phone. But it did.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve returned 3 individual items to 3 individual stores in the last week (DIY kitchen re-fit - say no more) and I’ve had to do a card-and-PIN for each one of 'em.

B&Q, Homebase & Screwfix - although quality, not-as-overpriced, alternatives are also available

1 Like

I have managed to do returns with phone’s Google pay. Even if the terminal said please insert card.

1 Like

Requires charging, a compatible smart phone and updating.

on android

Yes but is that because the virus isn’t present, or because LU has a stringent cleaning regime?

If I were to conduct the same test in my local Co-op, would I get the same negative result?

I think there’s a reasonable chance you would, but with card readers, at least there’s no reason for customers to touch them in the vast majority of cases.

Regardless of having to touch them I’d rather not put the one thing I bring to my face to the dirtiest point of contact in the while shopping journey.

on android

Just buy one? I know 5 different company’s who sell them and all of them will work with Monzo

It’s a gimmick you’ll use it 6 times for forget about it

1 Like

Your hand/ring will touch far more than your phone ever will. Not touching it the contactless part to pay with will be the least of your worries!

Seems a bit like a gimmick to me, don’t see it becoming a mainstream thing in the future so can’t see Monzo investing in it when Apple/Android Pay is way more efficient and is a service they can already utilise…

Also looks like you can just purchase on anyway with that exact company you linked and use your account already?

Agreed. My phone never touches a POS terminal, I always leave a cm gap or so.

Conversely, if the OP is worried about their phone touching the shop equipment and then going near their face, would it not be worse for their actual hand to go near the terminal? Their hand will touch their face far more than their phone will.

And will after they’ve touched all the products in the store.

2 Likes

As do I.

There was someone in front of me the other day who slapped their phone onto the terminal as you would with a card. It made me cringe at the possibility of a cracked phone or terminal screen :grimacing:

2 Likes

Chipping in to say that I also always

• pay using my phone
  • never have to physically touch anything with my phone

Half the time my phone vibrates to show it has been read when I’m still moving it towards the terminal, and the second I feel that I take it away again. Simples.

1 Like

On a side note, do people ‘tap’ with phone screen facing down or up?

I tap with the screen down. I don’t understand people here complaining that they’re told “we don’t accept Monzo”, because I never reveal which bank has issued my card.

Ooooo always up for me, so I can glance and see if it went through or not.

On Android you get a big green animated circle with a tick in it from Google Pay.

Kind of like this but green if I remember correctly… :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah iOS pings and vibrates too, and displays a tick. My watch usually shows the notification straight away too.

1 Like

This is me. Gotta see that animation :laughing:

Also, in the exceedingly unlikely event that my hand does slip, this means that it’s the case that might bump against anything and not the screen, so reduces the risk of damage.

3 Likes