Barclays chat

Yeah sure - its not really a card to build credit card as have other ones - just for odd holiday expenses as fee free (and would rather tie off the holiday financially sooner)

Also worth noting - I always pay my Amex via card not DD (don’t have one set up as they took a full amount despite me getting a refund once) and the balance reports each month :slight_smile:

But I’ve contacted them!

3 Likes

So here we are

‘ Good evening, thank you very much for contacting Secure messaging Support. I hope you are doing well today. I will be happy to help you today.

You can give us any bank details to set up a direct debit, if you pay in full no interest will be charged, please do not pay it manually as the direct debit will still be taken. You can choose to cancel teh DD anytime you want.’

1 Like

Non UK based support, by chance :man_shrugging:

I get the gist of what they’re saying though :blush:

2 Likes

Today they say this

Hi, i can cancel the DD for you , just to let you know the DD would not be taken if the FULL account balance was paid at least 6 working days before the due date , do you still want the DD to be cancelled?

Who to believe :sweat_smile:

If the full account balance is paid, then why not just cancel the dd anyway?

That said, it shouldn’t be too big an issue if they take it. Remember you are entitled to a free and immediate refund if a direct debit goes through in error - one quick call to your bank and it will be reversed.

1 Like

You’re right - I’d just prefer to avoid the hassle

Tbh I’m just used to the Amex way of doing it - having been with them years and only just getting my second credit card

I’d have kept the DD as a back up had the earlier agent advised about the 6 days - hey ho!

2 Likes

I’d probably leave it active if you’re paying more than 6 working days prior to due date, removes risk of error or forgetting to pay, causing credit file impact.

1 Like

I only cancelled due to the person before omitting that info!

I might just set it back up on a minimum payment to avoid the worst worst case scenario - in fact it’s letting me do it through an external account as well which it didn’t at set up

That said - I’m just a micro manager it’s very unlikely id forget to pay a bill (that and it’s only going to be used sparingly)

3 Likes

Thoughts on TSB’s new security feature?

"And to be extra secure…

It’s in all our interests to help combat fraud, so as an additional layer of security you’ll also be asked for your email at the point of purchase. We won’t store your email, instead we’ll use biometric data analysis when you type in your one-time password and email as it recognises the unique way you type. So should anyone else try to use your debit or credit card to make an online purchase, we’ll be alerted to it because of the way they enter your details."

From Strong Customer Authentication | TSB Bank

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to know how well this works especially if I’m using my phone keyboard, or my iPad keyboard, or I’ve injured my hand, or I just start typing the wrong email address etc.

It feels unnecessary at the best of times. If it works absolutely flawlessly, it will only be a minor annoyance. If it doesn’t it would be pretty major.

3 Likes

Pretty stupid tbh, I work with computers all day and my typing style varies massively on the device I am using for one and the time of day, my mood, my tiredness and so many other factors. I could see a lot of false positives for that but they may log it just to see if they can get any patterns rather than it really being used for much.

3 Likes

I’ll wait and see really. We don’t know if this will work or not so I don’t see how anyone can really know at this stage. I’d be interested to learn more about the tech behind this though as I haven’t seen it before.

Some people prefer more security; some prefer less. I’d probably sit in the middle. FaceID is probably sufficient for me; I didn’t like Monzo having no passcode/FaceID but then other banks have taken it too far with card readers and other slow ways of verifying so :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The thing that strikes me about card readers is that they ultimately rely on the same thing as Monzo for security (card PIN), just in a far more clunky way.

I don’t think they actually make anything more secure, but they do make operating your account much less convenient.

I agree with you that striking a balance is important.

2 Likes

With a locked phone or something sure.

I have myself had my phone snatched while open before and it happens far too frequently for me to like no option of a PIN at least to enter my banking app.

It’s a product of my job I suppose, being cautious of it, but particularly with a mobile only bank, once that phone is snatched it’s almost impossible to prevent loss or changes on your account until you get home. For me that was a nightmare in central London at the time and was at least an hour before I could get things blocked etc. At the very very least they couldn’t access my banking apps to do anything.

1 Like

Wouldn’t they need a PIN number for anything that causes loss, though? Which they wouldn’t have.

Maybe for some things. It’s been a while. I still don’t want someone accessing my bank account if it can be prevented by a simple PIN.

By all means have the option to not have one, I don’t see what the issue is. I don’t think it’s too difficult to justify having a PIN on a banking app!

3 Likes

But there is a pin on the app by default if someone wants to do something. They can’t take your money without it.

They can look without a pin (if you don’t turn it on) but they can’t do anything. If someone has snatched your phone from your hand and disappeared into the night then you probably have bigger worries than them being able to see you’ve got £252.91 in your round up pot.

3 Likes

I agree. I know my money is 100% safe because they don’t have my PIN and there is nothing you can do without it (can’t approve 3DS payments, can’t make transfers, can’t move money between accounts, can’t cancel direct debits…). I’d be much more worried about them seeing my Whatsapp, my emails, my private photos god forbid.

Anyway I have faceID to open the app just in case, even though I don’t really need it. Is that not an option on Android or something?

1 Like

It’s still really not a particularly controversial thing to add a PIN so someone can’t see your data. My bank will be the only thing on my phone showing my address for example, or showing where I spend day to day.

With all due respect it’s not for someone else to decide what worries I should have if someone has my phone! Everyone is different.

I’m completely behind an option to not have it but I don’t see why it’s having to be argued for. It’s a small thing that I can get as an option on far less personal apps.

I don’t know why the answer isn’t “Sure have the option; I’d probably have it off but it’s not an intrusive option so give people the choice”. In my experience no other financial app has no option.

If this has been added since I last used Monzo then brilliant.

6 Likes

I’m not actually saying it shouldn’t be an option, I was just questioning the idea that having it or not having it made the money in the account any more secure - from what I see it doesn’t. You mentioned it was impossible to prevent people making changes to the account, which I didn’t think was right as that level of security is built into the app and always has been.

1 Like