Avoiding Scams

How bizarre. Do you know which phone operators it is that haven’t reconfigured their clearing times as promised? Is it an issue with a specific provider?

Correct. If a call is ended on a mobile…it’s gone

Loads of scam topics but didn’t want to bump most of them, so this one will do.

Just had a call from “Amazon” about fraud on my account. Suspicions raised when it was just a mobile number, but roll the dice.

Apparently my account has been compromised and someone has ordered a MacBook Pro to Germany but if I’m quick, I can stop it! Great news. He just needs the code that Amazon will text me.

“But it says not to share this code?”
“You can share it with me, I work for Amazon”
“But it says don’t share it with anyone?”

Did that bit a few times, then told him the code was 123456

“Sir, this is very serious. Amazon will send this laptop to someone and you will be charged. You can’t blame Amazon”

Told him that was definitely the code. Then he started to increase his tone and try and make it more serious. This is expensive. No way back. Just give him the code. Avoid this scam.

Then I broke cover and told him I knew it was a scam and I’m not giving him the code

“Okay sir, I am from Amazon this is real”
“No it’s not, it’s a scam”
“Just fuck off, FUCK OFF”

:smiley:

I can see how easy it is to be convinced by him though. I presume “OTP” is One Time Purchase? Not sure what he could do with that?

5 Likes

One time passcode – if you have 2FA enabled they might gain access to your account (or I’m sure I’ve seen some places send a code via text to change password)

You should have said it was a genuine sale. You ordered it as a Christmas present for your cousin in Germany. Bet the script hasn’t been set up for that

5 Likes

I received a awkward one yesterday.

They rang me and said they’re from the Bank Of Britian and I’ve been chosen to do a survey.

I hung up as I thought bank of britian? They could of at least got it correctly and said England or something.

Then minutes after they rang me back and said I’ll be arrested if I hang up again as I must complete the survey by law since I’ve been chosen.

I then asked him who do I bank with and he said hsbc (at least he tried to guess but was incorrect)

I acted numb and kept on the phone and he asked for my job to confirm it’s me who they need to talk to and I said something which made him hang up

I find it funny they think people will believe this stuff

Sadly some people do believe the scams. That’s why they still operate as theirs enough people who fall for them, especially the elderly. So just because you might assume it’s impossible someone won’t get tricked, probably 40% of who they contact will do which is the reason scam awareness is getting more light.

Some scams are more convincing than others as a child, yes a kid you read that correctly was in my local news as he got arrested. He had a system that sent out thousands of texts a hour saying you had a missed delivery. Luckily the police caught him and the amount he made was eye watering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.