Are digital movie "purchase" prices going up?

£15.99 to rent?!

I could understand it for simultaneous release with the cinemas, but not after.

I imagine it’s a case of now they know people are willing to pay for it, they’ll try to milk it.

I’m probably partly blame. I supported the business model, but I was hoping it was a vote for releasing films to rent on iTunes the same day they premiere in the cinema, not a vote to put the price of films up!

Don’t think I much care for the third fantastic beasts movie anyway. I enjoyed the first two but will probably skip this one.

I think one of two things have happened:

1. It’s a mistake and somebody has screwed up somewhere.
  2. Warner Bros. is trying a new pricing structure/strategy on select films.

The physical 4K Blu-Ray release isn’t until the end of July, so that’s nearly a two month window between the digital and physical releases.

1 Like

I mean I suppose the £15.99 to rent is probably how much it’s cost 2 tickets to the cinema, and by renting it at home perhaps 6 people could watch at once?

I think it’s this one. If memory serves the original HP films are usually a little expensive as well especially considering their age. They are exploiting a popular franchise.

(I can’t check the store as I already own them)

I think I’m lucky.

My local Vue cinema is just £4.99 when booked in advance, £5.99 at the desk.

And I don’t buy all the consumables at the cinema either.

1 Like

1 thru 7 all £3.49 to rent:

1 Like

True but I feel like it’s a value thing. When you watch at the cinema you are paying to see it in the cinema, not just to see it. It’s probably the only chance to see it like that. For renting, you are watching it at home, but eventually it’s probably going to work it’s way onto Netflix or TV or something. So you are paying £16 to watch a very mediocre film a bit earlier, just doesn’t seem worth it.

4 Likes

£4.99 a ticket at Vue. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I said :rofl:

I clocked in after :sweat_smile: I’m still waking up.

Join club Lloyds, £3, get 6 cinema tickets, cancel club Lloyds, voila. :joy:

Then I take it back :grin: Thank you

1 Like

I’ve used four of my 6 Club Lloyd’s so far :joy:

And I don’t pay the £3 :grin:

1 Like

I think the last time i went to the local cinema, the curtain got stuck and there were intermittent sound issues that forced a couple of us to get hold of staff and ask them kindly to kick the projector. I honestly wonder if studios and cinemas truly care about presentation these days for the cost that we pay…

Find a better cinema! Never had any problems and I must have been to about 20 cinemas so I think most care. Shame your local is a dud though .

3 Likes

I genuinely feel sorry for people with subpar local cinemas. I’m not really bothered about Top Gun, but I’m still going to see it tomorrow just because my local IMAX is so insanely impressive.

It’s pricey at £16, but it’s most definitely an experience.

3 Likes

I love IMAX and go at every opportunity. To me it makes even mediocre action films a thrilling ride. Going to see Top Gun in IMAX on Sat, I expect it will be awesome :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I really don’t like going to the cinema but my husband loves it. So I get dragged along periodically.

I much prefer watching a film at home, comfy, without random people, with better snacks, drinks, AND the ability to pause and go to the toilet if I need to.

5 Likes

I think they’ve finally mentioned why it is £6 more expensive to buy - the banner on iTunes states it’s an “early” release because The Secrets of Dumbledore is still being shown in the cinemas (apparently). So I can expect both the purchase price and rental price to decrease around July - probably about a week or two before the physical disk is released for purchase.

1 Like

That doesn’t explain why they’ve not bothered to sell the 4K version, though.

They’ve updated the description to include 4K Dolby Vision + Atmos.