Apple TV worth it?

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has an Apple TV and if it is worth buying? Especially as the new Apple+ service is coming in November. Cheers :slight_smile:

I love(d*) my Apple TV. They’re very Apple: expensive but high quality, providing a considered experience. If you like being in the Apple ecosystem then you’ll love the Apple TV – especially with Apple+ coming. I’d recommend it.

* I don’t have a TV any more so I don’t have a need for an Apple TV now, but if I did, I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I like my Apple TV device a lot. The first iteration was somewhat slow and unreliable, but the 4K version is much better.

I probably underuse it, as I haven’t made the effort to research all its different capabilities. However, I use it for Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer - and also use it to AirPlay content from my phone - including music and videos.

If your WiFi network is unreliable (or unavailable), you can pair your iPhone with it over Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Yep they are I think I have a 2nd gen as well as a 4K box, unless you want to play games on it the lower HDD space is better, I opted for the highest HDD space in my 4K box thinking I could download films to it instead of streaming but you can’t :wink:

1 Like

I’m really glad I got mine. I got a refurbished one from Apple as it’s virtually impossible to tell the difference once you’ve unboxed it.

There’s something really satisfying about the small details, like being able to use your phone as a second remote and also using it to type when filling out login details etc. The whole experience is just super smooth, everything just works the way you’d expect it to. :smile:

As a side note, I don’t think I’ve charged the remote once since I got it which was about 4 months ago… :thinking:

2 Likes

I used to have an Apple TV 3rd gen but moved to Roku a few years ago for far superior channel/service support, in particular UK channels/services.

I’ve never really been tempted by Apple TV 4th gen. When I looked at it a while back, I felt the range of supported services was pretty weak (but haven’t really looked recently). Given it’s so much more expensive than Roku, I’m not sure what the attraction is unless you are heavily ingrained in the Apple ecosystem (e.g. lots of content purchased in iTunes) or want an Airplay receiver.

1 Like

We absolutely love ours. Definitely had some content availability issues when tvOS first launched, but the last year or so has brought Channel 4, UKTV & BT Sport, so feels pretty much complete from a UK services perspective; can’t think of any major omissions.

The TV App is super useful, and expanding all the time, and we’ve added an HD Homerun paired with Channels app, so 100% of our TV goes through Apple TV.

2 Likes

Yep, love it (a 4k one). We use it for all watched streaming. The tv app “co-ordinates” all our viewing from BBC iPlayer, itv hub, All4 etc. It doesn’t do that for Netflix & NOW TV but not a big deal as those platforms’ own apps take care of that. Plus you can Airplay audio and/or video to the tv via it. “Perfick”…

2 Likes

I can do this on my ÂŁ30 firetv stick

1 Like

I think they’re nice enough but I don’t think they justify the premium at all over something like a Chromecast or Fire Stick.

But I will say that iTunes is generally a great place for buying movies. You can get things on sale all the time and a lot of it is 4K HDR.

1 Like

I have the 2nd generation it’s quite old but dear me, it still has a strong game. It holds up well.

I mainly use it for Netflix or AirPlay such as film websites and stream it to the big tv, even for kids such as YouTube or any safari video

Some games also support it.

I think back then It was ÂŁ70, I got it as a gift and at least 4 years later, it still holds the feature.

1 Like