Apple’s New Map

Thought as much, so thanks for confirming

The “Our new maps are great, but you cannot have them” schtick can really cut two ways. I imagine it does incentivise some folk to switch to Apple, but I cannot be alone in the camp of being left a bit cold

3 Likes

I do actually believe there exists a web API that developers can use on their websites actually. So I suppose in some way it might be possible to access Apple’s map data that way. I’m not sure if this is also limited to iOS or not though

DuckDuckGo use Apple’s maps for map search queries via safari on iOS. Might be worth searching for a location on DuckDuckGo and see if it presents you with Apple Maps on android.

Can certainly understand where you’re coming from though. I view Apple similarly to Nintendo in this regard. They’re both software companies that make their own hardware for their software. Nintendo is easier to stomach though, as they focus on just one category of product, whereas Apple is now essentially an entire ecosystem of various product experiences. It’s probably still best to think of their services as extensions or features of their hardware though, and that in buying hardware you’re essentially buying those pieces of software too.

3 Likes

I avoid Apple services, even in the rare instance when they are fantastic (Notes), as I like to maintain ease of switching. But in this instance there’s no lock in so I’ll happily use Maps (provided they’re good).

3 Likes

Looks great. The walking directions to my work now include shortcuts through non-traffic pathways and across parks. Much better. Liking the 3D effect too

3 Likes

I share your thoughts, and like the 3D effect too. My friends however seem to hate the updates with a level of passion I can’t quite comprehend. Ew was the typical reaction before proceeding into a rant.

1 Like

There’s not much to dislike imo. It’s a good improvement

1 Like

The maps are pretty but I still can’t bring myself to use them properly… I still find that googles data is way ahead (recent example, Apple didn’t have any of the covid testing locations), and the Waze map is much easier to read while driving and has all the speed camera locations.

1 Like

I think in terms of appearance it’s largely what you are used to.

You’re right that Waze has the best data, and Apple won’t be able to compete with that unless they allow users to crowdsource the data like Waze.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but I wish Monzo would crowdsource merchant data like Waze does. Perhaps then it could remain maintained by users even if Monzo can’t moderate it.

3 Likes

Just to point out; that Apple Maps now also contain speed cameras :+1:t3:

2 Likes

So I tried navigation today. Got me all the way there but took me past the turning and around the corner before I realised I had to do a U turn and head back.

Used Waze on the way home.

Been continuing to compare mapping data across apps and I have to say that when it comes to the maps themselves (not POIs / search etc) I’m really liking Apple Maps.

Because of lockdown I’ve been out exploring my local area a lot more over the last year and Apple Maps seems to have so many public footpaths / bridleways / trails that Google completely misses.

It’s also way better at just coloring areas to make it clear what’s green vs urban.

The golf club data is actually useful to plan my walks across fairways and greens. Who knew!

4 Likes

This is something I really really like.

For any transport type mapping, I’d be in Citymapper. But for walking around it’s always Apple Maps - I don’t wanna get tracked by Google, they’re much prettier, and yeah I think pushing into better territory, let alone just as good.

3 Likes

I’ve played around with Citymapper but as I’m not a public transport user it’s wasted on me.

My usage is all over the place now:
Most driving - Waze
Finding places and local info - Google Maps
Walking and just looking around - Apple Maps

2 Likes

Yeah I mean fair enough. I’m public transport everywhere (in London) although hopefully my bike will finally get delivered soon and I’ll start using that more.

1 Like

Anyone know of a way I can selectively switch off dark mode for Apple Maps? I think that’s the main thing that’s stopping me from using it.

1 Like

Yep!

Set up a personal automation in shortcuts:
When maps opened
Set appearance light

And turn off ask before running ofc.

And then you could set one to turn dark mode back on every time maps is closed.

I have a similar couple set up which turn orientation lock off/on whenever I open/close YouTube etc.

5 Likes

Would you be able to share how you set this up?? Would be so handy

2 Likes

So.

1. Install the official Apple shortcuts app from the App Store if you don’t have it already;
  2. Go to the automation tab;
  3. Plus button > create personal automation;
  4. Scroll down and click ‘App’ as your trigger;
  5. Then on the when screen, you have a choose button to pick the app, and then big open and close buttons, choose which you want accordingly;
  6. Click next and go to the actions screen;
  7. Here on actions, click add and search for either appearance if you want to change dark/light mode, or orientation for orientation lock, or whatever else you wanna do;
  8. Choose whether you want e.g. the appearance to be set to light/dark, click next;
  9. Turn off ask before running.

Done!

You’ll still get a notification every time it runs annoyingly and I can’t find a way to turn this off. But it’s a small price to pay for automation.

5 Likes

I really really like the new Apple Maps, I’ve been trying quiet hard in my personal life to get away from the big data companies (so off Facebook, Twitter) and cutting down my Google use.

Again you can see the money Apple have thrown at the problem in the past couple of years

5 Likes