Apple Pay šŸ‘€

Apple Pay on the watch is really handy though, the only thing I miss from Starling.

2 Likes

Just used it on the bus now with an iPhone 7 Plus, find it extremely efficient compared to when it was initially launched on tfl services. :blush:

1 Like

I find having a loose card in my pocket very easy to get out. No buttons, no waiting, no risking dropping Ā£X00 of hardware.

Iā€™ve used Apple Pay twice.

4 Likes

I agree the waiting time is way too long. It seems to be that Android Pay (I donā€™t use Apple Pay so donā€™t know if thatā€™s the same) forces the terminal online to check the transaction with the acquirer. Where I frequently get lunch got a card terminal around a year or so back, and itā€™s on dial up, so very slow to confirm the transaction compared to other systems that are online.

1 Like

I did enjoy it, but recently on my Apple Watch it is being silly, I double tap, the card comes up but it doesnā€™t always work on the contactless terminals and I usually have to close it and tap it again. Sometimes not at all, the nfc chip is probably dying somehow :pensive:

I have broken out of my Apple Pay habit and have been using my Monzo card but I will probably come back to it when Monzo launches it :slight_smile: (and when I get my Apple Watch series 3!!!)

1 Like

It might be nearā€¦ :roll_eyes:

(but nothing official as yet)

1 Like

I used apple pay before I gad my Monzo card because it was more convenient. I am often listening to music so my phone will be out or in my pocket so paying with it is easier than digging out a wallet out of an oversized and overstuffed handbag.
I have to say I have been using a kerv for the past few months and I canā€™t see myself going back. Itā€™s just so much easier, I do use my Monzo to top up my kerv though. I do wish that there was a Kerv-Monzo collaboration and that I could check my Kerv transaction list directly from the app.

I used it constantly with my previous accounts, and miss the option now I donā€™t have it on Monzo. Itā€™s just super handy to be able to pay with my phone which is within a few feet of me pretty much 24 hours of the day. More than once Iā€™ve gone to the supermarket and realised Iā€™ve forgotten my wallet, but always have my phone. I do it at least once a week at the cafe in my office too, because I leave my wallet on my desk while I wander to meetings and then forget to grab it before going down.

4 Likes

I used Apple Pay all the time with my previous bank and the reason I used it was because Iā€™d have a record of my spending on my phone so maybe it is less needed on Monzo.

However I also find it easier than using chip and pin at places that fully support Apple Pay so I can still do a ā€œContactlessā€ payment even for large amounts. For example I paid my car deposit via Apple Pay Ā£350 without having to use a pin and get my card out etc. so much easier!

Itā€™s important that we donā€™t speculate on time scales yet as there isnā€™t an official update from Monzo on Apple Pay.

Okay, but Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what most forums are for? :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s fine if there is a source to backup a statement, which is how your comment read.

Pure speculation is something very different - and I wholeheartedly support it!

1 Like

Edited for clarity

Haha, glad to hear it :joy:

1 Like

I generally use Apple Pay or card, whichever happens to be handier at the time.

I have an iPhone 6 and have found that Apple Pay seems quicker now than it was when it first came out.

The only time I donā€™t use it is on TfL - that extra 1/2 second going through the gate is really noticeable.

I set up android pay on my legacy bank. Iā€™ve not used it once :woman_shrugging:

Had to use Apple Pay in Portland, Oregon yesterday! Wouldnā€™t accept the contactless card, but would Apple Pay. Weird :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Steve Jobs is probably still bribing people or something

2 Likes

I use Apple Pay most days, I find it really useful and like the idea that your card details never get disclosed to the vendor. Just annoying that most retailers impose the Ā£30 contactless limit, which apparently doesnā€™t need to be in place for Apple Pay.

Also the transaction is displayed/notifies immediately and can be viewed again unlike the RBS app when using contactless where you have to wait a few days. I suppose this isnā€™t really an issue with monzo seeing as the notifications are one of the best features of the card.

Anyway, I agree Apple Pay felt odd at first and even more awkward using the watch, but itā€™s become second nature to me and I find my myself reaching for my phone rather than my wallet.

The transaction can be viewed instantly because the device with which youā€™re paying for knows the amount so immediately generates the notification, but still that wonā€™t sync if for example youā€™ve got multiple devices.

1 Like

Iā€™d love the idea of using the contactless feature on watch/iPhone. Also does anyone know if there is an Apple Watch Monzo specific app? Thanks

1 Like