Apple Pay - Any updates?

Hey all,

Is Apple Pay for payments still planned? Remember seeing on Twitter a few months back that it was planned. Just got to the top of the queue today, so excited to try Mondo.

19 Likes

Yup, still planned :slight_smile: It relies on third parties though so the best estimate I can give is sometime this year. We want it as much as you though!

4 Likes

@tristan Genuinely curious, who are the third parties? Is the Apple Pay infrastructure outsourced by Apple? Or are you referring to Mondo’s card supplier?

My guess is “Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd”? Since this is the card provider at the moment.

Unfortunately Mondo hasn’t been particularly open with information around this, but that’s fairly common with anything Apple-related :slight_smile:

Based on what has been said in a number of discussions around this, it sounds like the main issue might be that Apple simply doesn’t work with prepaid card issuers. Integration is required to support the notification, verification and recent transaction systems baked into Apple Pay.

Sorry you feel we haven’t been very open :frowning: It’s more of a case that we’re not sure and don’t want to make false promises. My understanding is that we can support Apple Pay, even on a prepaid card but that requires extra work on behalf of some of our third party suppliers (specific to our prepaid programme) that costs a lot of both time and money and is uncertain as to how long it will actually take (hence the vagueness). I’ll see if I can get something more concrete for you guys this week :smiley:

Once we’re a bank, there are a new set of challenges and new integrations to be done. Rest assured it’s something we’re very keen to do (after all, you can’t be a modern bank and not support Apple/Android Pay :wink: )

14 Likes

Thanks! Would much rather the openness of “we don’t know” than making false estimates (HI BARCLAYS).

Very excited for it to happen though. At the moment I have to choose between the magic of Mondo or the convenience of Watch payments!

5 Likes

OK, I’ve just checked – the short answer is still “we don’t know”.
Long answer (caveat, caveat, caveat): The integration on the end of one of our suppliers will take 3-4 months (or more) once it’s started. We haven’t started that process yet because of ongoing discussions/negotiations – I can’t share details of that though, sorry! We hope we might be able to make a decision on whether to go ahead with the integration sometime over the next month and as soon as we have a clearer idea, I will share that here :slight_smile:

I hope that’s a bit more open and clear – please always feel free to call me/us out if you don’t think we’re being open enough!

15 Likes

How many likes do you need to push this to next day delivery…oh no…next day decision? :stuck_out_tongue:
Hope to see it soon!

1 Like

Would it be fair to say that getting Apple Pay working would remove the vast bulk of the impediments to implementing Android Pay?

Apple Pay and Android Pay uses the same back end technology to process a transaction, so ya if Mondo manages to get Apple Pay working, I don’t see any reason why Android Pay couldn’t be done. Granted you have to use separate APIs, but other than that everything should be alright.

1 Like

Wirecard currently have their own prepay card (Boon) on Apple Pay, are Mondo now closer to supporting Apple Pay now Wirecard have it?

3 Likes

It’s on the Roadmap for Medium Term (next 6-9 months).

1 Like

Hey team - I just wondered if there was any further update on when this is likely to happen? It was originally mentioned in April/May as 6-9 months away, are you getting close?

Just started using Monzo and love it but this functionality is key for me.

2 Likes

It won’t be until the current accounts launch.

The easiest way to keep track of this is by checking Monzo’s roadmap in Trello it’s still 6-9 months away but that’s a more realistic timescale now, as Tom’s said that Apple Pay won’t be available until after Monzo has it’s full banking license (which is expected within the same timeframe).

1 Like

Well it was unexpected but MetroBank have finally released Apple Pay (along with Co-Op) as I am with MetroBank and this is what I am waiting for unfortunately Monzo is going to have to become my second choice card now.

Sorry guys as much as I love what you are doing Apple Pay is what I wanted.

2 Likes

I agree it is a frustrating and a minor inconvenience not having Apple Pay, especially considering a lot of us now use Monzo as a primary spending card, however totally understand the reasons for not having it. Would be a total waste of time and resources implementing AP on the prepaid trial, if all that hard work needs to be done again just so that it can be used alongside the ‘full product’ current account. I think it is all the more annoying for me personally as I bank with Barclays, who already kept me waiting a year to get my hands on Apple Pay :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Barclays Apple Pay doesn’t work for you? works for me fine currently. I’ve had the Monzo card for 5 months now, I used it for a few weeks to test really liked a lot of the features… unfortunately I use apple pay a lot and its the one thing stopping me using Monzo currently. I hope this feature comes soon.

1 Like

Hey Tristan. It’s been a tad quiet on the Apple Pay front. What’s the latest?

1 Like