[Android] Updating Pot with Emoji in Name Crashes App

If I go to a pot, change it (the name, the goal amount etc) then save the changes,then app crashes.

I’ve just had the new Account screen layout enabled if that is relevant at all.

Edit: This only seems to be an issue with pots that have emojis in the name. Pots without update without an app crash.

Device: LG G6
App Version: 2.36.1

Just tried it on mine and it didn’t crash.

Perhaps a quick removal and reinstall of the app with fix it?

Didn’t help - I just did a little more testing and it seems to only happen to pots with emojis in the name (yes, I’m one of those people!)

1 Like

Ahhh that sucks :-1:

I just tried adding an emoji to one of my pot titles and it didn’t crash. I didn’t have an emoji in there originally (before the layout update), so perhaps that’s where the issue lies?

Does your app crash if you create a new pot with an emoji in its name then try to edit that pot?

No.

I can create a pot with an emoji, edit that pot and delete it with no app crashes.

It seems to be isolated to pots I already have created.

Edit: I also tried deleting all emoji from an existing pot and saved it, this caused a crash. Opening the app and editing the (now emoji-less pot) and saving it still caused a crash.

1 Like

We’re narrowing down the issue :sunglasses: This is great and should help Monzo reproduce and fix it a lot quicker.

I spoke to cops this morning about what sounds like this bug. They said they’re aware and fixing it in the next few days :+1:

3 Likes

Noticed it a few app updates ago. Mine not crashing, but in longer names some emojies becomes question mark cubes :confused:

Android 10
App 3.83.1

Haven’t been able to replicate it on my Huawei.

What icon is the ? supposed to be?

1 Like

Also see no emojies on another pot :point_down:(question sign only) unless I minimise it

A complete guess, but I think Monzo are possibly truncating the pot name in a ham-fisted way - and as emoji are technically multiple characters, they are breaking the display of an emoji that is at the truncation point. The codepoint for your light bulb emoji is U+1F4A1, and monzo might be truncating it to U+1F… for example.

1 Like

Could be, as when I open corresponding pot I see :point_down:

:eyes:

1 Like