Android P Beta

Has anyone installed the new android beta? And if so how stable is it to run on a daily basis, I know Google warns against this.

2 Likes

I’m now on the Beta, from the original developer preview :slight_smile:

I regret flashing it at 11pm after a damn long day :joy: I messed up :wink:
But now that it’s all happy and installed, seems fine - but as I’ve learned through many years of this, it’s a BAD idea unless you’re completely fine with it ‘breaking’ unexpectedly.

The 1st preview was rock solid for me, but YMMV :slight_smile: this Beta seems very smooth (I’ve had it for <12hrs though so take that with a pinch of salt :wink:
You can always flash back to your last stable update, assuming you’re rocking a Pixel device? (And know what you’re doing)

I wouldn’t recommend running it but I’m running it on mine :grin:

1 Like

There are a few tweaks but it doesn’t feel a whole lot different to O. That’s probably a good thing…

I’ve got it doing DNS over TLS, but once the initial coolness has faded that just kinda works. Ipv6 implementation seems more consistent (it seems more willing to use it than O was).

No app issues yet, and bluetooth works.

I’m running it! All great so far.

1 Like

I couldn’t get WiFi calling to work, so I restored back to O.

Be aware that unless you use Magisk, it’ll fail Safetynet, so you won’t be able to get Netflix from the play store or use google pay.

How can I check this? I’ve enabled it in the Settings but there doesn’t seem to be a visual clue like in Oreo.

For me, when I had it enabled, it would say cellular preferred rather than WiFi preferred. I just assumed this meant it wasn’t working.

Mine just says EE whereas on Oreo it said EE - WiFi Calling or something like that.

Edit - Oh, I see in the Settings it says Mobile preferred

Interesting :thinking:

Got it working. Found a tip to put the phone on airplane mode, then enable WiFi and make a call. That way it forces the call to go through WiFi since cellular is disabled, and the setting seems to stick afterward :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice spot on the Wifi Calling! I imagine that they’ll improve this - I found in oreo sometimes it’d use Wifi Calling in situations it really shouldn’t… so this is a swing the other way perhaps.

I’ve found Android P to be really smooth, the only other bug I’ve found is when it wants me to sign in on open Wifi networks (eg Underground/Virgin Media) it comes up asking me to sign into network “null”.

1 Like

Just installed P again (with Magisk, I want my Google Pay!). The WiFi Calling does work, thanks for the tip @simonb :slight_smile:

I do really like the UI, it seems much nicer.

I’ve got P without Magisk and have Google/Android/Nom du Jour Pay running OK on my Pixel…

Did you have a card in before you updated? If you go to add a new card, do is let you get to the choose a card screen?

If you go to Google Play, can you view the Netflix app?

Yeah I had all my cards etc. already in it…

In Google Play I can search and see Netflix (I’m in the Beta program if that makes a difference)… It’s also already installed and opens fine…

I upgraded my phone via OTA rather than wipe/flash, so all my apps were already installed and set up…

Hmm, strange. It definitely says in the notes that the preview isn’t CTS approved. Maybe that only applied to the first one?

Either way, my bootloader is unlocked, so I need Magisk to pass Safety net.

I haven’t taken the plunge (mostly because my phone’s incompatible with the beta :pensive:) but initial write ups seem to be highlighting how this is the most significant update in years.

I take it you’re not experiencing much difference as a user? Are you using the new gestures?

Google are good at hype :stuck_out_tongue:

They’ve changed the bottom bar (needs to be switched on, and doesn’t feel quite ready yet) and the notification drop downs are more interactive, but beyond that not really different as a user.

There’s a new app coming that records how long you spend using various apps, but I can’t see myself ever using that.

There are a lot more interesting things going on the development side… merging all the various controls + compatibility layers under the jetpack label, pushing kotlin, lots of new tools to make development easier… of course none of these are android P specific.

2 Likes

Might be worth mentioning that the Monzo app is working perfectly on Android P, in case anyone was nervous about taking the plunge (at least on a Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, I know there are other devices that can run the Beta)

In fact, all my most used apps are working. Haven’t come across anything problematic as of yet. For a second Beta, especially considering we are still 4 or 5 months away from the full release, it’s remarkably stable and in fact seems to be performing better than Oreo.

1 Like

Monzo is not working on Android P on a Nokia 7 Plus. It’s an AndroidOne device… Monzo just hangs at the second screen and then you get an ANR. Screenshot_20180515-183439

What’s an ANR?

(Don’t make the same mistake as me and google it)