AMA with our Chief Product Officer, Fernando 🎉

Perfect. Thank you so much for sharing this. It really would overhaul my opinion of the app and make it much more appealing!

3 Likes

Yes it is. Very.

Here’s the thing. Community building is difficult. It takes time, effort and and genuine desire to engage. And once that’s been done it can be pretty difficult to curate and even more difficult to maintain trust. The sad fact is that it’s much easier to lose community trust than to create it.

In case the point is lost, it’s this: of course you have a choice about what to share and what not to. But every decision has impact. I worry that this is the easy short term choice for you, but fundamentally the wrong one for the company in the long term.

I won’t press this any more.

Over and out!

2 Likes

Nice questions, thanks Peter.

1 Like

In some cases it’s because we’re trying to maximise around the platforms, others we just need to do a better job at feature parity. But all teams are staffed against both platforms. Any particular area you’d like us to focus on?

2 Likes

Thank you, appreciate the feedback. Let me look deeper into the external savings angle. But in general we are very keen to use the full power of open banking and the like to deliver on the financial control centre proposition.

We’re already leveraging some open access type capabilities to show your mortgage in Monzo, as well as the ability to pay it via Monzo, for example. So yes, these capabilities will be important if we want to help you bring all your financial life to Monzo. This is something we’ll continue evolving over the next year.

4 Likes

yep so the only problem is when a team is “stuck” trying to move a metric that’s too big for them. So we need to spot those and make sure we tweak either the team or scope accordingly.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter and everyone for your questions – it’s been interesting to talk, and this community isn’t something I take for granted :pray:

5 Likes

I hope you all enjoyed your Easters, am going through a few more questions now!

4 Likes

Thanks! :smile:

Both Messi and Emi “Dibu” Martinez are national heroes in Argentina so guess that puts me in the love bucket. We were not expecting to win (Brazil, England, and France were the favourites going in for us) so that made it even more special. Celebrations were wild!

3 Likes

Jumping in here to flag the parity wiki - Android-iOS Parity Wiki

In terms of particular areas (from an iOS perspective) the inability to set a subscription to be “every X days/weeks/months/years” actively hampers my ability to properly and factually record some of my payments, and the inability to edit scheduled pot transfers is extremely frustrating.

5 Likes

+1 for OS parity

From the other side as an Android user. The advanced search iOS have irks me every time I need to try and find a transaction. We can only search on name.

4 Likes

Saw some last questions can get an answer - forgive me for bumping this one to try and get it added to the list!

How do you manage setting priorities?
Bonus: how do you balance new features and maintenance / updates of existing ones?

What is the current flow for a new feature in Monzo to be released? (If not too confidential)

How much do you expect Monzo to change in other regions like the EU?

2 Likes

Thanks. Paying your mortgage sounds interesting. With savings, are you able to give any insight as to how Monzo might tackle that given lack of open banking for savings products?

Wonderful to hear this. I’d like to point out that it’s possible to ship some of the most needed parts of this - custom categories and virtual cards - without needing to deal with lots of legal changes; they’re just technical features. And apparently they have some of them in the US already!

I think you’re bang-on about re-orienting towards a “Financial Control Center” goal; it’s right thing to do with the app to provide a huge amount of extra value. How do you envision this working, roughly? What are the highest-level items that people should be able to see at a glance? (net worth? total debt? discretionary/mandatory spending?)

3 Likes

We don’t have a bias, so you’ll see more occasions where we do both, like we now do with savings. Third party is a must since we can’t do everything ourselves. But when it makes sense, we’ll provide our own solution as well.

I get the platform point and it’s correct, the only difference is that we don’t want to present users with bad options. That’s different to other platforms that present all the options out there (good or bad). In our case, we’d only bring third party players we believe provide a great experience.

4 Likes

Great point. We’ve actually been ‘cross-pollinating’ more and more between the UK and the US. Basically working with the US team to bring many things over (and the other way around). We’ll be bringing some improvements to the UK onboarding experience which were first developed by the US team, for example.

I’ll add this one to the list!

7 Likes

Nope, it’s not! We’re actively working on cheque imaging specifically as well as adding more options for cash deposits.

I’ll ask the Payments team to come on here soon to share more. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d be interested to hear about from them.

34 Likes

Yes, we’re evaluating rewards in general, including cashback options. We’re talking to partners and looking at ways to reward loyalty.

But whatever we do we’d love to avoid gimmicky options, like only having cashback for a fixed period of time as an acquisition tool. Instead, we’re thinking about how we could offer true sustainable/ongoing value for you. Grocery definitely comes up as a vertical. Would love to know what you’d find valuable?

20 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

6 Likes

So priorities are set quarterly and “themes’’ are set annually or bi-annually. We obviously keep things agile and communicate among ourselves to fine tune as we go.

We generally first do a demo internally, then we test it internally, later it goes to Labs (so you folks can play with them!), then a small group of users, and then a rolling update. Oh and we try to launch on Android and iOS concurrently as much as possible.

5 Likes