Adventures with NatWest - not a good first impression

I’d rather my employer not have access to more information then they need haha

2 Likes

Makes total sense!

Ah that’s great! My rant can disappear now :blush:

1 Like

Is it possible to use a Halifax or BoS account if you work for LBG, or does it have to be Lloyds?

1 Like

My income from LBG gets paid into Monzo - but I am a contactor (so my agency pays me), so I guess that’s different as a perm employee

Yeah so Lloyds, Halifax or BoS.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if its a recent thing following acquisition of MBNA a few years back, I joined after that so potentially the reason why its part of their terms.

I always thought it wasn’t fair practice to make people have an account with the group.

3 Likes

I think I’ve heard of other banks doing it too, Barclays for one.

Maybe they all do it?

I had an interview with barclays and they said you wouldn’t need a staff account, and I know RBS was once under fire by obliging to have one.

I’d much prefer the option of paying me wherever I choose :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting.

I read about Barclays requiring it for in-branch staff at least, but I think it was old information so it may not apply now (or it may depend on the role).

I’d have been office based as I am now and was told there’s no requirement and no benefit having a staff account.

1 Like

Yeah, you could get a staff mortgage, discounted a couple years ago with Lloyds. you don’t get that now

1 Like

You get paid early with Barclays if you have a Barclays account and work for them.

1 Like

I think its still there for staff mortgage but don’t think its decided on having a lbg account

1 Like

This is true, the interviewer did tell me this.

1 Like

How does the paid early function, similar to Monzo? As I suppose Barclays to Barclays there isn’t a delay?

It’s quite clever calling that a perk because you only really benefit from it once. Same as Monzo.

1 Like

I see what you mean by saying you only really benefit once, in that it effectively just moves your pay day forward by one day, but that’s still a perk every month as far as I see it.

You are getting the money sooner than you otherwise would have done every time - even though you still have just as long between payments, as each one is early, it’s still better than not getting payments early.

So that’s a perk still, on an ongoing basis.

If you bank with Barclays and work for Barclays, I assume as they payment is released days prior to payday as normal bacs process with most companies, it gives it you sooner as its the same bank?

Others go through the usual 3 day processing, this is how Monzo can let you have payday a day early, as the funds are visible in the Bacs system awaiting clearing the next day

1 Like

Exactly, I assume it works just like Get Paid Early does at Monzo (but with added certainty for Barclays that the funds will definitely clear, as they are also the institution sending it and have full visibility over the payments).

This avoids the need for the disclaimer that Monzo use, warning you that it’s possible for the payment to not actually go through.

I think that’s more specifically if, for example, someone had to have an amendment made by payroll immediately, and it gets retracted

1 Like