Adventures with NatWest - not a good first impression

One may be on Android and one on iOS and if one asks the other how to do something it’s different process between both platforms. It’s grasping at straws I know

1 Like

Oh right. Both competent tech users. Mum would be on the iOS app and dad on the web app online banking.

Hypothetically.

2 Likes

I actually appreciate this. I believe the app experience should be consistent with the respective OS design guidelines, rather than having its own cross-platform consistent design language.

It keeps things expected for the relative platform users, which in turn makes it easier to figure out how to use and navigate the app. If the app doesn’t use the expected navigational layout it can be confusing and put users off.

That said, bottom tab bars are now part of android’s design language, so could be used. However hamburger menus should never exist on iOS. Out of interest what do starling even need or use a hamburger menu for? They hardly have the complexity of many products and services like Barclays do to warrant it.

3 Likes

hahaha

1 Like

In the hamburger menu you can:

Go ‘home’
Spending
Payments
Add Money
Card management
Marketplace
Account Management
Get help

2 Likes

Even on iOS? :open_mouth:

Bit weird to have one when most of those functions are in the navigation bar.

So, I tried to activate GooglePay for the card, no joke. it can take up to 24 hours! no way to verify via text or email or in-app - I had to CALL them to be told via an automated message, the service had moved to the chat feature that as above DOES NOT WORK.

:man_facepalming:

it’s a new account thing, eventually you can use texts to verify.

I had to originally use the messenger which was dire and slow but did get the problem sorted and my card added. (took about thirty mins)

2 Likes

I use three accounts:

Lloyds - solely to get payed as its required working for the group :expressionless:

NatWest - the app is very user friendly and the whole process from setup to viewing transactions and sending money is great.

Monzo - slowly merging everything from NatWest, the pots was the biggest benefit here for me.

Never had a problem with NatWest, once the Google Pay was set up via online chat (due to COVID) everything was a breeze. Even the branch service is great.

This is the sort of thing I was getting at when I said it’s usually much smoother once you are up and running.

There are lots of small restrictions on new accounts, for security reasons, and adding a new payee is a pain with the card reader; but after you have set everything up once you don’t face these obstacles day-to-day.

1 Like

I have no qualms with their support, they answer the phone just as quick as First Direct - never waited more than 2 minutes

1 Like

My husband banks with NatWest and when we got our mortgage (5 years ago) they had no facility to electronically download bank statements yourself.

I had emailed all the other documents and then we had to go to NatWest and get them to print out a copse worth of old bank statements just so we could scan them and email them.

Here ends my small NatWest rant :joy:

2 Likes

The mistake is to switch in an account you actually use and rely on. Just keep a zombie account for such purposes. Then, if you’re pleasantly surprised by the new account, you can switch an active account later on.

Diving head first into a new account for something as potentially complex as finance is not a good plan

4 Likes

I thought that was illegal or something these days!

2 Likes

Sadly not, I hate their app, its so cluttered and decided to put offers or rubbish between the accounts. Paying someone is a pain.

I think its a recent thing with LBG, in the terms of contract, you must have a group account before you can be accepted for the role and get paid by the group.

I heard somewhere its due to tax or cost purposes, but the legitimacy of that im not too sure.

4 Likes

At a guess, I’d say it is so they can keep hold of the money for longer. They basically pay you (money out), but as long as you don’t spend it or transfer out they keep the money as investable, etc, since it is within a Lloyds account. If they paid you elsewhere it would be money out and gone.

Also, they probably want you to use their own services so you are familiar with them and keep brand loyalty.

Still, pretty annoying!

1 Like

Oh I move it first thing :joy:

I haven’t used the account for anything else other than income, its not the biggest chore but I’d prefer to just be paid elsewhere for convenience and one less app and account :joy:

1 Like

Even though you move it straight away, I bet relatively few of their employees do so it is still worth it for them to have the policy.

I have only ever called them once.

It was to do with a transfer out being blocked for anti-fraud checks, and even then it was only because replying to their text didn’t work (apparently the number was blocked by my mobile operator at network level, so not their fault).

Having had similar checks at other banks, you often have to be prepared for a Spanish Inquisition about who you are and how dare you make a large transfer!

But the experience was very positive at NatWest. I called and explained I couldn’t seem to reply to the text, they were very apologetic and immediately put it through with no issues as soon as I said I had genuinely requested the transfer.

The phone was answered within a couple of rings and it was a U.K. call centre.

Also, on statements, @Stompy I have had my account almost as long as that and never had a problem downloading statements from Online Banking. So that problem doesn’t exist now, luckily.