Actually when should we flag?

Yeah I’m aware of that too, part of the reason I thought a discussion would be good? I’ve always managed to resolve things when I’ve sent a DM personally, that’s not going to work if something is deliberate and I guess that’s hard to call.

I do really think the more we can solve as a community without needing to appeal to authority the better, especially between regular posters.

I don’t post a lot but at times a lot of flags seem quite petty. I spend alot time reading and it seems to be some defend Monzo no matter what.
We all have different views and I think sometimes some forum members struggle to see any differing opinions.

Its pointless trying to guess why a post was flagged, that’s between the flagger and moderators. It could be anything or part of a wider issue.

Remember that a post can’t be flagged multiple times either and all flagged posts get reviewed. So enjoy the extra attention a flagged post gets and if there’s nothing wrong it will get removed after a short while anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think any major overhaul needs to happen. I’m sure the moderators would speak to the person or reduce their trust level if they noticed abuse of it.

2 Likes

I don’t know – sometimes it’s a badge of honour :trophy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This sort of assumption that gets trotted out time and again is what I struggle with. I think this is almost never true so I always end up looking for alternative motives for people claiming it is.

My reaction to this “explanation” suffers from and illustrates the pointlessness of trying to judge the motivation of others in flags or posts based on no evidence at all.

1 Like

This sort of assumption that gets trotted out time and again is what I struggle with. I think this is almost[quote=“Feathers, post:25, topic:121460, full:true”]

This sort of assumption that gets trotted out time and again is what I struggle with. I think this is almost never true so I always end up looking for alternative motives for people claiming it
[/quote]

I understand you may struggle with the statement but the evidence is there time and time again.

1 Like

Only to those who apply that interpretation to events. Everything is subjective, it’s unavoidable.

I think that’s basically the problem with the flagging system though.

Again the board guidelines explicitly encourage people to learn from where they are called out and generally that’s a good thing in any feedback system.

If your feedback system means you can find out people think you are doing something wrong but also it’s pointless to guess what you are doing wrong and actually probably against the rules to ask those people then that’s really quite a poorly designed system imo.

2 Likes

I meant it is pointless for everyone else to guess. We don’t know who flagged them, if it’s a common pattern of bullying, or even if the person is bothered about it.

Moderators know the answer to all these questions and can do something about it. It’s therefore probably best that we leave it between them instead of trying to be vigilantes and getting involved in other peoples drama.

Or if you’re saying that you want feedback after your post has been flagged. In the PM that you receive that tells you this, ask for an impartial view and here is when you’d also mention any wider issues. Not in the topic itself because that would derail it.

I understand @AlanDoe is reviewing how best to optimise the use of flagging.

Dopey question, I suspect, but is it the case that some users can flag and others not? I’m no flagger but I note the option for me is missing. :worried:

2 Likes

I think you have to be a certain trust level, then I believe they’ve been tightened up a little more from default.

2 Likes

I can flag, although I’ve only done it once.

You’re a ‘Member’, whereas I’m a ‘Regular’ - so Discourse trust levels are probably at play with this, although the ‘stock’ Discourse forum trust levels (TL0-New, TL1-Basic, TL2-Member, TL3-Regular, TL4-Leader) don’t seem to completely tally with the Monzo forum trust levels (Nothing [New], Member, Regular, Coral Crew)

Suspecting the Monzo forum doesn’t use the TL1-Basic tier and uses a hybrid of TL0 and TL2 for ‘Members’

Further info:

But you’ll probably know this from helping to look after the FTForum ?!?!

3 Likes

No they don’t. I’ve had posts flagged for months and months, none of which contravened the guidelines but were others simply disagreeing with, well, facts mostly.

Monzo staff did flap all about them, and I refused to change the content as there was nothing wrong with it, so they remained hidden for ages.

It was only after repeatedly linking back to them in other discussions about flagging, as an example of the poor moderation of this place during the last time it was all going off, that Alan or Cookie it whoever it was belatedly unhid them.

1 Like

Well, you know, besides removing that one that had a load of likes…

Oh yeah. I forgot that most of my flagged posts get loads of likes.

I just keep linking back to the hidden post later in the thread. I find that to be an excellent way to highlight others’ petty flagging.

1 Like

Ah OK. I can only give you my experience from someone who has also had their fair share of flagged posts :sweat_smile:

I don’t know why yours is different :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I know a lot less than you might think :smiling_face:. I let Matthew do the difficult stuff and I just apply good old-school bonhomie and the occasional frown.

Works for me …. :grin:

3 Likes

Must admit, I don’t feel like I’ve had any of my posts unjustly flagged and hidden. I don’t think I’ve received that many flags in general, and when I have, I feel like they were justified.

I consider myself lucky in this respect because I’ve certainly seen a lot of posts hidden for seemingly no good justified reason.

I wish I shared in @Feathers relentless optimism of pure intent, because I do try to search for that, and so often I find myself unable to fathom it. I’ve seen my fair share of toxicity within internet communities over the years to learn that if it looks petty, it’s probably petty. I follow my intuition because, as arrogant as it may seem, it’s right more often than wrong.

2 Likes

What I would like changed is the majority of people in thread can be having a civil discussion and then someone gets multiple flags and gets the thread closed for everyone.

We’ve had for example Pekem getting imo unnecessarily flagged to the point of bullying in the Electric car thread.

Instead of having a word with those involved the whole thread gets stopped for days. Again and again.

We aren’t talking about anything consider risky, it’s not explicit, not offensive…

it’s incredibly tame about EVs. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Surely it should simply boil down to this (a gentle reminder to those who get carried away (sometimes that’s just a result of being passionate about the topic in hand). A DM = sorted.

If a reasonable interjection like that gets a sharp rebuke, then maybe the forum is not for them. The grown-up approach, maybe?

2 Likes