Account Frozen then unfrozen

Just had my account frozen which happened just after my partner transferred her half of the rent into my account to cover the standing order due out soon this was a bit of a shock as never had an account frozen before but within about 5 mins received a notification to say it was unfrozen without me even contacting them (which I was in the process of waiting for someone to join the chat) just thought I’d share my experience what with a lot of pots about account being frozen

4 Likes

We only really hear the complaints , but it’s reassuring to hear things are reviewed quickly where possible.

3 Likes

That’s why I thought I’d share it just to show it’s not always the worst case scenario even tho it was a bit scary to see the initial screen

6 Likes

What is it like when your account is frozen, can you still do anything in the app?

1 Like

You have access to help, statements and legal documents and that’s it all from the screen explaining that your account is frozen so no access to the feed etc and explains that no payments such as standing order will be sent and no one can send you money

4 Likes

crazy

3 Likes

It’s to prevent anti money laundering. My old NatWest and monzo have both done it.

They just check the sender to make sure it’s legit and can happen randomly even with a small payment but tends to be larger ones.

2 Likes

I do not think you meant to say what you’ve actually ended up saying there :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

To not prevent anti money laundering

2 Likes

Why ‘crazy’? It’s the whole point of freezing the account. I wouldn’t expect anything looser, or am I misunderstanding you?

I was describing the OPs situation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Describes it well, I think!

Thanks for sharing @dudesuper! Interesting and useful to hear that side of things. Had this happened to me, I’d likely panic. If it ever does, I probably won’t now.

Sounds scary though, but does it really need to be for a simple spot checking of a transaction, I wonder?

Would be interesting to get a Monzo perspective on your experience.

2 Likes

I’d go with scary I think. Sorry, missed the context from the single word.

We’re making assumptions here, even if they’re fair, and I just don’t see Monzo jumping in in any way that would confirm or deny the cause of this.

3 Likes

Not really asking for that. I don’t care what caused it. I’m more of curious if this is actually expected behaviour with the app.

2 Likes

I guess freeze first investigate then unfreeze. Dodgy funds could be withdrawn in seconds otherwise

5 Likes

If I hadn’t of opened the app to move money into a pot I might not of even known the account was frozen for a short time

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.