Abandon merchant logos!

(Jai Sullivan) #15

I couldn’t agree more! :monzo:

(Andy) #16

Monzo should open source what they have. Share it with the world. Let other companies use the asset and let orgs manage their logos. Logopoedia.

(Tom) #17

I’m a big fan of the logos. Just need to tighten up the system and get it a bit more reliable :+1:

(l8n.me) #18

It’s difficult though as arguably the reason the system is so poor at the moment is because it’s too tight already. They’ve backed themselves into a corner having to manually authorise everything for fear of… whatever they fear if we were just able to suggest one and have it automatically show. I get what you mean of course by tighten up the system, but at its core the system needs loosening to make it actually useful.

(Tom) #19

Yeah, I see what you mean. I noticed today that a company I manually updated with COps has now switched back to no logo/location info when I made a new purchase today. The older transaction is correct, the new one not, so it seems that each transaction is it’s own individual entity, rather than being updated in a central database or something.

(Kieran McHugh) #20

I love our merchant logos, but our merchant system needs work. I’ve been putting quite a lot of effort into improving our internal tools to give us greater visibility of the overall health of our data, and to make it easier to do large scale refactoring. By far my number one priority with this work is to reduce duplicate “merchant groups” - in other words, if we have 5 different “Starbucks” each with different logos and shop locations, these need to be merged.

I think this lays the groundwork for a more complete system where we can crowdsource more data, allow people to track their feedback, and give merchants the ability to log in and manage their own presence on Monzo.

Below is a screenshot of what we see on the new system so far (it’s WIP).

Merchant Data Corrections
Improving Internal Merchant Tooling
(Kieran McHugh) #21

For instance we should definitely merge these three different Debenhams :see_no_evil:

Thanks for sharing this on a Saturday night @kieranmch!

Looks great!

(Tom) #24

Thanks for sharing!

(Dean) #25

I agree :+1:

(MikeF) #26

As came up with the recent Hewlet Packard/Morgan Stanley example (which @Rika sorted for us) there is sometimes the need to split things, too. In that case I’m guessing it was an incorrect merge but the result was the logo flipping back and forth between two identities as each ‘side’ requested their transactions be corrected.

(Chaks) #27

Love the merchant logos, They do make my feed easier to read at a glance :two_hearts:

(John) #28

Merchant logos are one of the biggest things for me - makes the feed look so good!!

When I first got Monzo - I shied away from using certain merchants because they had no logo haha! Didn’t realise at the time you could submit them!

(Kevyn) #29

And the different Amazon’s :tired_face: .

Thanks for the update though!

I reckon this is a really good space for a start-up. Build a database of reliable info. Link to merchant ids / social media. Allow brands to manage their identities across multiple platforms (banks, social media…) Open Apis. Charge firms like Monzo less than it costs them to curate it themselves.

You read it here first. Also, my DMs are open. :wink:

Should Merchant Data be Open Data
Business Banking and Merchant Enrichment
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #31

As with most things, someone has already done this. A quick Google found www.clearbit.com :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Here is the logo part: https://clearbit.com/logo and the documentation to create your own company profiles using their APIs: https://clearbit.com/developers

(Emma (still not the app)) #32

image https://media2.giphy.com/media/l378iA8T0vfaGZ9h6/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bcc5679585237345558b040

It’s on the way but I think more could be done (link to merchant IDs anyone?)

More competition in this space! I’d be keen for Monzo (or Starling but they won’t have the volume) to spin out this data into a dedicated (micro) startup that can really nail it.

(NM) #34

@Peter_G How much data like this is opensource? because if most of it is Opensource I might have a play with it? As the Monzo thing,I played with end with the conclusion that I can’t do it as IFTTT IF functions are reserved for paying companies, rather annoyingly :joy: