You can now open an ISA through your Monzo app šŸŽ‰

Often Iā€™ve seen interest accumulate daily but only display as ā€œearned this monthā€. If withdrawn, your daily interest would decrease slowing down the accumulated interest - but the total interest accumulated over the total 365 days will be paid out. Hope that makes senseā€¦

1 Like

So is there a consensus on how this isa pot works?

I opened mine and paid into it only in the last tax year, but Iā€™m unable to open a new one now this tax year?

Just keep adding to it. You donā€™t need to open a new pot, it continues

Same as any other ISA as far as I can see. Pay money into no more than 1 ISA a year and only open a new one if you want to change provider for the current yearā€™s deposits.

1 Like

Would be good if it showed you where you are in relation to this yearā€™s limit

3 Likes

Would be a nice addition, I wonder if you could fashion something with goals to make this work.

It would be even nicer if you could manually tell it how much youā€™ve put into other isas. Otherwise, the figure is not very helpful.

1 Like

Well at least if they all tell you, you can add them up. Tracing the Monzo figure is currently tough.

1 Like

OK so the current UK inflation rate is 1.9%. Is there anywhere I can put my money where it isnā€™t going to be worth less year on year in real terms?

Totally agree with this - the reason I didnā€™t go for the Investec savings. Would also rather savings are with an ethical partner otherwise Iā€™d rather stick with Coventry/Nationwide for now, which have better rates as well. However would also rather everything was in less accounts also.

So, can anyone confirm whether Iā€™m right or not with this?
Between all ISAs accounts you can save up to Ā£20,000 per tax year.
Iā€™ve opened a Lifetime cash ISA last summer and Iā€™ll be placing there Ā£4000 to get the 25% for the 2019/20 tax year.
Am I eligible to place my remaining savings into the Monzo Flexible Cash ISA as well?
My plan is buying a property by September so the idea is withdrawing everything from the lifetime cash ISA and potentially some of my savings into the Monzo cash ISA as well.
Thanks

FSCS-Protected bank accounts

There are some current accounts and regular saver accounts which pay above 2% interest, but these limit the amount you can earn interest on

The best fixed term savings accounts pay around or above 2% interest

Other

There are a couple of Fintechs Iā€™m aware of that pay up to 5% on money deposited in certain accounts with them (they donā€™t call it interest for regulatory reasons, but its basically interest). However, you have to jump through some hoops to earn this ā€˜interestā€™ with them and the money is not FSCS protected so you have to trust these providers are following proper safeguarding procedures to keep your money safe in the event they go bust. This ā€˜interestā€™ is basically coming from their marketing budgets to attract new users.
https://getchip.uk/ (their savings account - earn up to 5% interest)
https://www.dozens.com/ (their trust bonds - earn 5% interest)

Beyond that, you would probably need to look into investing the money (e.g. in Stocks & Shares or Peer-to-Peer lending). Investing over a long time period you would expect to earn significantly more than 2% per year, but its not guaranteed. Your money could go down, especially if you only invest for a short time period and donā€™t have time to let it recover from dips.

Yes, as long as you donā€™t have any other ISAs (Help to Buy, Stocks and Shares), you would have 16k of your allowance left for your cash ISA.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the Halifax and Lloydā€™s kids savers, which give you 2% on up to 5k each. You can also then use your kidsā€™ Ā£100 tax free allowance (for money from parents) on top of your PSA. Also, the Halifax Kids Regular Saver.

Two quick comments.

1. When going through to open an ISA, the app claims I can only ā€œopen Savings Pots as cash ISAsā€, even though I am able to access the non-ISA fixed savings pots. Needs tweaking even if it is just the addition of the word ā€˜flexibleā€™.

IMG_8282 IMG_8283

1. I find the current method of displaying the interest on the fixed pots somewhat confusing. When selecting a six-month fixed pot, the app says the rate is ā€œ1.36% interest on this term lengthā€.

IMG_8281

This reads as if the 1.36% is the total return over the six month term length, when itā€™s actually just the standard annual rate (AER). I know many will be presume this to be the case, and so did I - but it was vague enough that I felt the need to do some maths to check anyway.

Perhaps some rewording to make it clear that this is the AER, or to make clear that the return is 0.678% over six months. (Iā€™d see the first of these as preferable).

4 Likes

Or even both

0.678% over 6 months which is equivalent to 1.36% AER

3 Likes

:astonished:

Anyone just spotted what Coventry BS have done matching Marcus with the init rate?

Easy access and Flexible ISA 1.5% (Ā£1 min)

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/cash_isa/easy-access-isa-online-2.html

Blows Monzoā€™s 1.14% (Ā£500 min) offer out of water, especially for those starting out with less than Ā£500 savings.

5 Likes

I saw this had already gone up to 1.47%. Nice to see it now matches Marcus.

Withdrawals can take a while though with Coventry

1 Like

I agree it needs to say the interest you would get for 6 months and also an annualised rate. Not making this clear is a risk.

The current iOS Testflight version quotes the percentages as AER so it looks like this has been addressed.

1 Like