Wise Discussion (previously Transferwise)

Yes.
I went to the city office to complete the name change process, reissued my ID card, and uploaded my new ID card to Wise, but was told there was a fee.

2 Likes
1 Like

:juicy: :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @Remi, that was a really interesting read.

1 Like

It’s Design WankSpeak, but it was interesting.

2 Likes

I didn’t read it - does it indicate when the new cards are coming (the only bit that interests me in the redesign!)

Pretty cool podcast for Wise as a business:

Spotify link: Wise: Moving Money Around the World - [Business Breakdowns, EP. 99] - Business Breakdowns | Podcast on Spotify

As most of you probably know Wise is powering Monzo’s international transfers.

2 Likes

Just finished listening to the podcast. I’ve definitely got more of an insight to the brand, also strengthening my loyalty to them. :clap:t5:

1 Like

Bit of an advert but last year I wrote a blog post on wise as a potential investment, I think it’s one of my fave blog posts I’ve written and shows some parts of Wise others may not know :smiley:

1 Like

The Assets option now lets you hold essentially money market deposits. Both these and the Shares option are covered by FSCS compensation I believe (not bank style version, investment style version).

Only GBP, EUR and USD deposits so far, but all paying rather good rates.

1 Like

Yes. You can convert any debit card attached account (or savings pot) to the money market (or shares version). So right now I’m getting 4.12% on the GBP account and can spend that directly with the debit card.

2 Likes

Also, you can do DDs, standing orders and bill payments from it. Basically a Kroo equivalent that works properly. And, you can similarly spend directly from EUR and USD interest bearing accounts.

I have the same problem. Our postbox has been filling up with cards, pins, etc due to a bit of a flurry of CASS account openings for the latest crop of £200s.

Have a look for a freebie offer on the Wise card if you’re going for it. First card is normally £5 (renewals are free).

Almost forgot … they issue you with a Visa Infinite card which has some offers, notably for Hertz/Avis you get President status which in turn gives you a free second driver, lots more included mileage, cheaper one way drop off and I think a few more things. Saving me getting for £1000 on my upcoming holiday.

2 Likes

They seem to run free card offers fairly often i.e. if you can’t find one right now, wait a week or two and look again.

I’ve never seen offers in Wise - where are they hidden?

2 Likes

I can’t find any at the moment. I got a free Eco card off them a few months ago but I know that some people on this forum were paying £9 or so for the same card at almost exactly the same time.

2 Likes

Thanks @Arnie7, I was meaning the car hire status / discounts rather than free cards.

1 Like

Oh, those aren’t from Wise as such. They are available because it’s a Visa Infinite card. Whilst Wise doesn’t seem to offer any specific Infinite benefits (concierge etc.), you get various things just because it’s an Infin6 card as you would with the Revolut Infinite card.

1 Like

You get nothing with the Revolut card. It’s just a label on the card, nothing more.

1 Like

Same with Wise i.e. nothing from them. But, because it is a Visa Infinite card, you get benefits from other companies. I don’t know if there’s a Visa equivalent to MasterCard’s Priceless site but registering on that with a World Elite card highlights things like President status on Hertz/Avis, similar status on some hotels, etc. (most/all are matched by Visa Infinite).

As I say, you get these from Wise and Revolut just because the card is issued as Visa Infinite. The benefits aren’t provided by Wise or Revolut themselves.

2 Likes