Will Monzo survive?

Indeed, some companies actively use “bad press” as free advertising.

Look at Ryan air and their suggestion of a pound for the loo a few years back. Or standing up seats!

1 Like

The rejection is not down to the CRA, it is down to the company that has registered the info to the CRA, I have had a dispute rejected as the company that I had a loan with and an incorrect address added to my file, called up Transunion after raising several disputes was told to contact loan company to fix and send details to CRA

Like Microsoft, you say? :thinking:

That fills me with dread. :neutral_face:

As a customer maybe troubling. As an investor ‘like Microsoft’ sounds good though :grin:

2 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. I certainly felt less valued as a customer - and community member - because I wasn’t prepared to hand over that extra money for a Plus account that was, in my opinion, a huge rip-off

2 Likes

@Peter_G you’re famous

4 Likes

I’m just mildly irritated the context of Tom lip syncing to it was lost. :man_shrugging:

Seriously, though, I dislike this form of “news” and would prefer that journalists didn’t use my content without checking with me first.

7 Likes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/10/26/monzos-growing-pains-raise-serious-questions-survival-prospects/

Another article, another day
As someone that has just gone full monzo my worries are little to none to be honest

4 Likes

All the articles are bad for Monzo though as more people will see the various bad news and it will dissuade them not to consider them.

Not only will we “survive”, but we will continue to thrive. Not only do we offer a world-class app with innovative, progressive features on an infrastructure that other companies just can’t match, but we have a level of engagement, growth and community that is unforeseen in this market.

My thoughts are that effectively our success and high levels of visibility and goodwill act as an amplifier. Our wins get amplified to a higher level than others in this market, but it’s a double-edged sword because the same thing happens when we trip up. It’s an inevitability when you’ve done things that are truly disruptive.

So our job now is to double down not only on the things that make us so compelling - our app, our platform, our services, our community - but also on our governance, our structures and our culture.

And you’ll hear all about this soon at The Future of Monzo event :+1:

29 Likes

I was considering starting a thread “Will the Telegraph survive”(just in case he’s looking for material for next weeks paper), but from what I’ve read this week about it being up for sale and a huge drop in profits it’s a clear no

14 Likes

I started this thread and I’ve been fullmonzo for just over a year now.

I don’t worry about my money. Worst case, maybe monzo will have a serious, TSB-style technical mishap that makes money unavailable for a day or so, but I don’t worry about Monzo going under and taking all my money with me.

I started this thread wondering about the future, and whether Monzo would be a shining beacon of excellence in the banking industry 5 years from now, or have been caught up and look like any other high street bank.

Lots of people have responded favourably in the poll at the start of this post. That’s good for monzo and their approval levels are slightly higher than I was expecting. Still, I think monzo risk being seen as a noddy bank if they don’t sort out international payments, cheques, and the like, but there’s clearly an appetite for things like Salary Sorter and Get Paid Early.

2 Likes

Just incase you or anyone else wasn’t aware, this can’t actually happen, up to £85,000 due to FSCS protection.

1 Like

FCSC

It’s actually the FSCS, not FCSC.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting the typo.

Thank god that’s been cleared up.

13 Likes

Does anyone know how long it actually takes to get your money back should a financial institution fail? Should anyone who has all of their money in a single financial entity be worried that they might be without funds for an unacceptable amount of time?

They aim for 7 days, complex claims within 15 days

1 Like

Has it ever been used yet? To my knowledge I’m not aware of any time FSCS has actually come into play.

1 Like

Following the collapse of Bradford & Bingley alone, the FSCS paid out more than £15 billion to consumers.