Why Monzo think Android app is on par with iOS

Which is my point?

1 Like

It just seems strange to compare something that has almost no material impact (this situation) to something that potentially did but ok.

1 Like

My point was just about how wording there lead to confusion and the wording of that tweet and of the whole “parity” conversation has led to confusion as well

2 Likes

Ok so to sum up:

Monzo said parity & this isn’t the dictionary definition of parity.

As a result users thought they were getting the full search functionality now & they’re not yet, which is disappointing.

The search functionality needs rebuilding which is when it would make sense to add it to the Android app too.

That’s it isn’t it?

5 Likes

Which is down to the words that Monzo chose.

No one is saying Monzo are evil! But they could chose their words better to stop from sounding like a marketing company.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ve edited my post now to make it clearer that, that’s what I meant.

Lol I’m glad to no one is saying Monzo is evil! At the same time, I think people should remember that the team is human & things can be overlooked / mistakes can be made. It sounds like (& I’m sure that) it wasn’t their intention to mislead anyone.

2 Likes

I would be curious to hear what :monzo: definition of done is in Jira! It’s amazing how wildly is varies across companies! For those that don’t use agile methodology/jira - https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/8-steps-to-a-definition-of-done-in-jira

1 Like

Oh, I have no doubt they have the best intentions, and were very much led on the user base to come to this “parity” conclusion.

But clearly people thought differently, and that has led to an annoyance that could have been avoided with different wording (which is similar to the overdraft situation when put like that).

Monzo pride themselves on their transparency and ethics, which are always fantastic.

But all it takes is for a few of these little “marketing ploys” if you wanted to be cynical, and soon people will start second guessing what they really mean. Which would be a disaster in my opinion.

Whether it was intentional or not, they should have come up with a better way to word what they were trying to do, and if that had happened, this thread wouldn’t exist and everyone would be talking about how great Monzo are and how much they’ve developed their Android offering recently.

9 Likes

I don’t like to diss Monzo too much — I literally this week bought the t-shirt!

But I guess I was always waiting for the day when iOS and Android would be on-par, with the same features — bar those which are not available due to limitations in iOS.

I know that different teams work at different speeds for each platform etc, but I still hope that I’d be able to know when there are differences without having my fiancĂ©e telling me how her’s looks different.

1 Like

It really isn’t “virtually identical” at all.

Those 8 buttons you highlighted make up the whole powerful search functionality on iOS. This non-parity issue for search isn’t something visual you can single out to a few buttons. It’s the difference between having a major feature and not; it’s the difference between giving one platform the full experience and having a “that’ll do” approach to the other.

Regardless of what signals Monzo have been getting from users and research, their own internal communications, knowledge and tasks should tell them that Android search is woeful compared to iOS, is worlds apart in terms of the functionality it provides, and their definition of “parity” should have always included it.

There is no mention of proper search functionality for Android on the roadmap, the big list, in blog posts, or other official posts from Monzo. Yet it has been brought up time and again on the forum and on Twitter, so I think it’s only right that Android users are angry, frustrated or disappointed now to see something that has been asked for but completely ignored.

4 Likes

This isn’t 100% parity it’s 95% parity. There’s probably never going to be 100% parity. So this is close enough to justify saying “parity” in my opinion.

iOS search isn’t great either, that’s why it needs fixing for both platforms.

It hasn’t been ignored, it just hasn’t been delivered yet. I know it’s disappointing.

This discussion is getting seriously repetitive.

I think we’ve all agreed that we think that better search (on both platforms) would be kinda cool.

For me, the important point is about being clear when making announcements like the Big List. Now, the average Monzo employee is probably sighing at the pedants on the forum when all they’re trying to do is to delight us, but sometimes I think taking a step back and being more basic in the copy would be useful: there would have been no loss to specify the new Android features coming, rather than saying parity, for example. That would stop this conversation dead before it started.

If it were me, I’d say lesson learnt, let’s make sure we are more specific next time. (I’d also find some private time and sigh deeply, but that probably says more about me than anyone else).

3 Likes

Not sure I would agree. Most of this has been brought up before but as Monzo haven’t quite finished addressing the issues of parity it’s going to continue to be mentioned until Monzo say “We are working on search” and then deliver on it as those users feel they are still not receiving the same level of features as iOS. I’m on iOS so this doesn’t massively impact me

1 Like

Yes that point’s been made already.

If it’s only 95% parity, then why is it considered ‘done’? :wink:

It is, but it seems that’s what’s necessary to get Monzo to take this search issue more seriously :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Repetitive.

Not really, us arguing amongst ourselves doesn’t make it any more likely that the team will take this seriously :slight_smile: it’s a waste of time.

Now who’s being repetitive? :wink:

7 Likes

Belittling the issue to some “virtually identical” minor UI differences won’t either :wink: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I didn’t say it was a UI issue.

:thinking:

1 Like