What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Erm, I’ve pretty much never used it as it came with the tablet. £50?

That Unifi LTE modem looks nice but feels extremely overpriced. At that price I’d expect 5G support at the very least (then it would make a nice third-party alternative for Three’s 5G home broadband - the one they provide is terrible).

Any reason you can’t just use a Linux machine with an mobile broadband dongle as your LTE backup modem and have the Unifi use that as a backup connection? Should be much cheaper and I bet even a Raspberry Pi would be enough.

I actually think the price is relatively fair. Starting with the Dream Machine, Ubiquiti seem to be dramatically simplifying their product lineup into a coherent and well executed ecosystem. The Dream Machine was my first experience into this new ecosystem, and I really like where it seems to be headed, as it fills a nice medium between consumer level hardware, and enterprise level. The coherence on offer here I would argue is near Apple iOS level in terms of how well it’s executed, the simplicity of the setup, and the it just works experience.

Which brings me to:

There isn’t, no. They’re solutions I’ve dabbled with in the past, but they’re quite finicky and hacky, and don’t work 100% reliably. Integrating this solution to work seamlessly with the Dream Machine isn’t currently possible to my knowledge, because the Dream Machine is quite lacking in command line customisability. One of the few downsides to this new unifiOS platform of products. As far as I can tell, the only way an LTE failover is going to work the way I need it to is adopt one of their LTE modems.

I still need to get around to buying myself one of these. Many of the things I would use it for I just end up running from my Mac Mini server, so haven’t bothered yet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just bought a Rasperry Pi Zero, the teeny tiny ones that sell for about £8.

Wanted to make a little dashboard on an eink display (I’ve got a very old kindle you can apparently connect), so that will be my January project.

Useful little things though - I’ve got a few for various purposes; I’ve got one running as a “PiHole” - a very effective ad blocker, and also acting as an interface between my Vinyl record player and sonos system, and the other is running as a controller/server for my 3D printer.

There’s defintely way more I could do with it though.

2 Likes

I considered Unifi kit for my home network as well as for work and I found them underwhelming for the price. If I remember right the Unifi Security Gateway couldn’t even serve as an IKEv2 VPN gateway at the time I checked - have things improved?

As far as I can tell, the only way an LTE failover is going to work the way I need it to is adopt one of their LTE modems

Can the UDM not do failover across two connections? As far as the UDM is concerned it shouldn’t know/care whether the second one is LTE or a standard backup connection, it simply detects when the primary connection goes down and swaps the default route to the secondary.

1 Like

I don’t believe there is support for it directly in the firmware, but it’s something you may be able to install and set up via the command line. As a VPN server, I’ve always found Unifi sufficient enough, when you compare it to home routers at least, though I do find them still lacking as VPN clients. With the USG, there are certainly command line work arounds for such things. The actual controller software I find has improved substantially over the years (the primary reason I went with them over a standard home router where updates are few and far between), the feature set not so much, if anything, through the streamlining, a few things have likely been lost. The UDM for sure is a more stripped back product as a gateway.

I don’t believe so, at least not when it’s used as your exit gateway to the internet; it only has one WAN port. You would have to have another router sitting behind it with multiple WAN ports, such as the UDM pro for instance.

1 Like

a portable 4g wifi modem

at the time, just moved house, wasn’t going to get a line installed with telephone/internet etc

although a line was installed eventually, great bit of kit when on holiday, just 1 data sim card to share with other people

I wish I’d bought an unlocked one of these. I have an EE one, and have found it very useful on holiday, in hotels with rubbish (or expensive) wifi, and when my broadband router is playing up.

It’s also useful if you have a data sim from a different network to your phone.

Just ordered one of these to try out. Ridiculously cheap and it’s the Wirecutter’s top pick.

Want to test out HomeKit Secure Video and compare it to my Nest Cams. I already pay for 2TB of iCloud so the “free” cloud storage would be a great bonus.

1 Like

I’d be very interested in how you set up your pi to interface between a record player and your Sonos.

I need a new turntable and want to connect it to my Sonos (feels ridiculous to have MORE speakers in the house) but I don’t feel like spending £500 on a Sonos 5.

Do you have a link you can direct me to?

1 Like

Sure!

So the easiest way is to get a Sonos Connect - I think they stopped making them but go on ebay for about £100 or so.

Or the rPi way - I followed this guide.

It’s maybe about 90 mins of set up, and you need one of these, or similar. (Plus the Pi).

It’s quite an old guide so there may be some things that are outdated now - but there seems to be lots of comments to update on changes on the original.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Edit - it also apparently works with a Pi Zero, so if you don’t have a spare pi already could do it all in for about £40/50.

1 Like

I suspect £100 is for Gen 1 Connects. Might be worth mentioning Connect Gen 2 is needed if Sonos S2 compatibility is desired

3 Likes

Going to give that a go. Thanks for that

Ah fair point, I forgot about the S2 update.

Just ordered a Pixel 5 from Voxi for £495. Pretty pleased with that given it’s going for £599 directly from google.

1 Like

Portable HD because I wanted to reformat my iMac that was getting slower and slower.

Hoping Apple is going to announce some ARM iMacs in the spring, as I desperately need a new one.

Bluetooth controlled LED lights for my PC

Would be getting a new GPU for UHD gaming however some of you will know there’s a huge shortage of PC parts at the moment :thinking:

Got my eyes on a 3060 Ti.

Switched my monitor to a 43" UHD LG TV that I wasn’t using. Awesome for gaming on.

Those lights are massively overpriced :open_mouth:

I like them. They were also the only ones with good feedback. They stick well and the app works a treat to change the lighting.

Wouldn’t say £12.00 is overpriced ?