What we're doing around card payment disputes at Monzo

I feel seen. Was meant to be going to Lisbon for the first time on holiday this Saturday…

easyJet did finally cancel the flight, but they really bury the refund option and have not been quick to action it

That is a weird quote - I didn’t write it, and it looks like nobody else did either?!

It’s a quotation of the quotation you quoted.

1 Like

Didn’t really intend it to show as a quote from @lpoolrob, but I selected the text and then clicked Quote

So, yeah, as @redshift said

No pastel de nata for me…

1 Like

Just noticed this in app now :eyes:

6 Likes

I’m not sure if this is something that has been recommended or in the works already but it would be nice if you add a chargeback section to the app that will detail the current chargebacks that are in progress and how much time has elapsed

Do people do chargebacks that often that it needs a section? I’ve never had to do one

3 Likes

I had (and won) two from a company which didn’t deliver the service it promised and then refused to refund me. I didn’t keep bugging Monzo every week asking for an update, but I bet a ton of people do. If the work to add a little panel with a ‘do not contact support before [date]’ saves more work than it costs then it could be worthwhile (of course some people would still ignore it, but would add friction).

11 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Unauthorised transaction challenge

I have a slight issue with the new process. I have a pending transaction on my account which should in theory drop off after 8 days (its not car rental or a hotel) . When I click something wrong, it says a dispute can only be filed after 14 days of having contacted the merchant. I feel like this advice relates more to payments that are already settled. You used to be able to ask Monzo to return the payment via chat, but this now seems to have stopped. I think this set you apart from the service other banks have provided with debit card issues.

I also feel like you should be able to dispute transactions right away, in my case it was a pub so I contacted the merchant right away in the flesh and they could do nothing as it wasn’t on the till, and they informed me head office aren’t offering customer support.

Really, I already know the merchant can’t help me. And I just need my bank to contact the acquiring bank and to track and sort things in a back office style manner.

Is there not another dispute mechanism that could be put into place for short term/pending transaction issues. After the 8 days elapse, will in app chat be able to help any further? @Rika

2 Likes

I don’t think the bank is able to dispute a pending transaction. They have to wait until it’s settled - and that’s why you won’t be able to get the ball rolling yet.

If the transaction is pending, the money is still techincally in your account, just ring fenced. If you click “Something wrong?” one of the options should be to lift the hold.

The company still could collect the money however and if that does happen, then that’s when you would need to wait 14 days.

If you do not have the option and the payment is still marked as pending, contact Monzo via in app chat and they can manually remove the hold.

1 Like

The person I spoke to in support on day one said the process had changed and they weren’t doing reversals (the auto option wasn’t there) . But perhaps I should ask again. Another payment made that evening where I did receive the goods has gone through so fairly safe to say they won’t go in for it

Unfortunately as I thought it was a merchant app issue I also tried off another fintech as well so have two pending payments, but haven’t even had response from them!

Tell a lie, the option to reverse it has now appeared. Maybe it kicks in after a minimum of x working days?

2 Likes

It sounds like the person in chat misunderstood the request as it wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) be considered a reversal, anyway, glad the option has now appeared.

I’m not sure why it took a while to show up.

1 Like

Hi Rika,

I would really like to see an area on the app which shows my Active/Resolved disputes, please.
I have only submitted my first dispute last week and it’s frustrating when I cannot see what has been submitted, when and what progress has been made on it. I would assume the customer service team use some sort of application/DB, which provides each dispute with an ID to which notes are made. This could then provide your customers, like me, peace of mind that my dispute exists and has not disappeared into the ether.

Thanks,
Stella

4 Likes

Totally agree with this. I’ve had bad luck where Monzo and Halifax both failed to submit the dispute via Mastercard. They were both very apologetic and both situations were resolved well. But it’s stressful having to chase these things (and a waste of COps time as well).

1 Like

I had both my double charged refunded, disputed the one that settled by mistake but got refunds

Got told the money could be taken back but I’m happy.

1 Like

This would be so helpful and mean less messages to staff

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.