What was the last thing you bought with your Monzo card?

I too found the silicone strap caused me a rash so I stopped using it but miss the loss of Fitbit Pay and now have a Samsung watch so waiting for Samsung Pay.

I guess Reggie would need his 2 pints of Stella after his packet of scratchings.

1 Like

Lemsip because I’m sick :thermometer:

4 Likes

Oh no! Get well soon bro. Seems to be a lot of germs going around at the moment, I’ve only just recovered myself! :face_with_thermometer:

4 Likes

Aww, :unicorn::unicorn::unicorn: get well soon.

At least be glad you’re not @simonb recently, stuck in America, unable to get Lemsip. :cry: Poor Simon.

2 Likes

I had Tylenol Severe, which seemed to do the trick. The real killer was the combination of illness and jetlag (I got sick two days before flying back). That knocked me out for a week once I finally got home! Flying whilst sick is not fun.

1 Like

No, no it’s not :cry: - and nothing in the US works as well as Lemsip for a cold (or as Strepsils for a sore throat). There is strong demand to bring in Lemsip and Strepsils, they’re among my most requested items by American friends (along with sweets that are blackcurrant - remember even ‘identical’ sweets in America can have grape instead of blackcurrant which is rubbish. Skittles in the US have grape and green apple instead of blackcurrant and lime - disgusting!).

1 Like

Yeah, I somehow managed to buy unsugared throat sweets from CVS, which did work, but tasted absolutely vile.

1 Like

Did you manage to get through the payment process? Did you love the contactless logo tempting you, followed by their infamous ‘contactless not allowed’ message they added the day after Apple Pay came out? Did their M/Chip Fast implementation result in the entire process just failing for no apparent reason? Did the taste of their complete disdain for their customers’ privacy known as CVS/Pay come through in the taste of their sick sweets? Did the fact there are no working active ingredients in such products in America not reflect in the continued pain in your throat?

2 Likes

Payments all worked fine actually lol… Perhaps the West Hollywood store is an outlier? :joy: I fear I may have opened a can of worms here!

1 Like

Are you saying ‘contactless not allowed’ is fine? Or were you simply satisfied that contact was approved, perhaps by sheer luck? Were you not tempted to go down the road to Walgreens, where you could buy equally ineffective placebo-like American sick sweets, but at least you could pay with EMV contactless? Did you consider giving up in frustration entirely, realising that a sugar-free lollipop would be equally effective? If so, did you struggle to find a shop to sell you such lollipops with your beautiful Monzo card as you realised Target and Walmart also disable contactless (though without the passive-aggressive message if you try it) due to their ongoing disputes with the card networks? Did the aggravating reality of buying anything in the American payment system at least provide a temporary distraction from the misery of being sick?

:joy::joy::joy:
:heart::heart::heart:

Next time you come to UK can you bring some Bayer Aspirin…can’t get proper Aspirin in UK :frowning:

Desperate times :joy: I do the same pretty much every day though not for milk but for drinks & snacks*

*and cry when I realize I wasn’t quick enough and the off-license is closed

1 Like

If you ever go to Europe get Neoangin tablets for sore throats, they are better than Strepsils any day!

Isn’t it a generic product, all the same? Other than the blister packs here, but personally I do support those.

TW - accidental severe injury/death and suicide

The blister packs prevent both impulsive intentional overdoses and accidental swallowings by small children/etc. While they seem silly, expensive, and wasteful of packaging materials, the cause is well worth the annoyance and cost.

Bayer invented the Aspirin and while generic versions are made of it, the formulations and excipients are different in many cases. I have hated British Dispirin since I was a small child and swear (with no evidence to back that up) that the Bayer Aspirin I import from Germany, Estonia and Spain just seem faster acting and more effective than own brand aspirin from supermarkets.

This is disregarding the fact that some Aspirin in Europe are 325mg and others 500mg.

ODD FACT
Interestingly mini cardio Aspirin vary between 75 mg in UK, 81 mg in US, 100 mg in DE! The reason for the odd size of US aspirin is because 81 mg is equivalent to a whole number of grains of Aspirin, whereas 75 or 100 would not be.

Me thinks a double-blind test is needed. Whilst there could conceivably be some difference in the inactive ingredient causing this, it’s a long shot. The active ingredient (acetylsalicylic acid) is chemically identical.

1 Like

There are all sorts of issues with tablets, not specific to Aspirin. Some brands can have different esophageal transit times when swallowed, in the stomach some may be enteric coated and others not so dissolve at different rates, some painkillers (like Aspirin) can be formulated with citric acid (Vit C) or caffeine or calcium and that can impact metabilisation of the active compounds including potentiating their action.

Disclosure:
While I have worked for Bayer that was on their antibacterials not painkillers. My only involvement with painkillers was with Zamadol (which made by another company)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.