What do you put in each category?

I’m using yolt and emma (they are neck a neck at the moment, yolt ahead by a nose 'cos they cover more of my accounts) but they have so many categories…

What’s the difference between internal and transfer?

How is bills different from housing?

Do you put your netflix etc in bills or entertainment?

Is booze part of groceries or entertainment or drinks?

Should takeaways go in eating out?

I’m interested in which categories you choose!

1 Like

I’ve always put entertainment related subscriptions into bills. In much the same way I could put my coffee subscription as Groceries but I like seeing all my monthly subscriptions in one place.

Booze comes under “Groceries” if I buy it in a shop, “Entertainment” if I buy in a pub or sometimes under “Eating Out” if it’s part of a meal.

I’ve always put takeaways as “Eating Out” to distinguish from Groceries myself.

3 Likes

Q) What’s the difference between internal and transfer?

A) • Internal is between two accounts at the same bank (or a pot/goal and main account)
• Transfer is between two accounts at different banks

Q) How is bills different from housing?

A) • Housing is rent or mortgage and council tax
• Bills is water, sewage, gas, electricity, broadband etc

Q) Do you put your netflix etc in bills or entertainment?

A) Entertainment

Q) Is booze part of groceries or entertainment or drinks?

A) Buy a bottle of wine or beer with your shopping and it is groceries but buy a friend wine in a pub or restaurant and it is entertainment, until you can split transactions and then I would put then all into the drink category

Q) Should takeaways go in eating out?

A) If they are cold I treat them as groceries but if they are hot I treat them as eating out

Categories is the hardest thing as different people will categorise things differently or indeed an individual may on different days!

1 Like

Why is council tax housing rather than a bill? Or alternatively, why not put the housing related bills in housing category?

Not questioning your choices, just interested in your reasoning for them!

I use internal for any transfer between accounts I own, including credit card accounts and transfers for transfers to other people.

Internal for me is Pots transaction or with other banks transaction from Current to saving and vice-versa. Transfers are from one bank account to another bank account.

They are not really different, just depends how someone likes to view and understand the information. I put rent and council tax in housing and rest in bills but I do same for Transport and bills, I put car tax and car insurance with transport not in bills. Just helps me understand better tbh

For me, this falls under entertainment along with Now TV

Don’t drink but I guess it would be groceries if you buying wine for dinner :man_shrugging:

Yes again IMO.

2 Likes

My mind works in mysterious ways. While part of me would love the icy cold logic of Captain Spock, another part of me is more poetic and mentally meanders like a river.

4 Likes