What apps have changed your life?

Shazam, Spotify, Apple Wallet, Strava, Uber, BBC iPlayer Radio, Podcasts, plus some of the ones already discussed.

Monzo
Growlr
Google Drive/Docs

1 Like

Candy crush
Local councils bin app (seriously, I now remember which bin to put out)
Monzo

Your council has a bin app? I never knew I needed this in my life. :laughing:

It even tells me what is allowed in each bin…

:smile:

1 Like

Oh jesus, I forgot about LastPass. This app has seriously changed my life. One password for the app which I secure using dice encryption and all the rest of my passwords look like this

Zh%£1H#)z

Theres a chrome extension that auto fills passwords and the android app does the same. It’s epic :smiley:

Other than that, YNAB. Couldn’t be without it

2 Likes

I’m a fan of LastPass but have been using 1Password and I have to say I never thought I’d find anything better than LastPass but I was wrong.

1Password does everything LastPass does with a nicer UI, better password generator and more configurable fields per login.

1Password > LastPass

1 Like

I’ll definitely be trying that then. Thanks a lot :sunglasses:

I have so many websites I don’t use anymore, could do with a fresh start

1 Like

Life changing app has to Google Maps. :world_map:

2 Likes

I agree with this, but my work uses LastPass, so for the sake of simplicity of one app/solution I stick with them.

2 Likes

I used to use LastPass until my account was compromised, then it was bad. Luckily it’s fairly easy to delete everything on your account!

Android is getting better at passwords now, on Android ‘P’ it now asks about saving the App password in pretty much everything I’ve used so far, for a dev release it seems pretty stable.

The nearest to “life-changing” for me would be Citymapper and Google Maps. I could live without almost everything else on my phone if I had to…

I used it when it first came out (before google bought it) and it was such a battery hog I removed it. Re-installed it after seeing this and whilst I like the app, in the few hours I tried to use it Sunday night, I spent almost half of that time with ‘the routing servers are unavailable’. Seems like they can’t keep up with demand.

1 Like

That’s not something I’ve ever encountered except when I’ve had no signal. Waze doesn’t (or at least didn’t) work for journeys over 250 miles, which doesn’t affect me, but may well affect others.

For those times when I have no signal, I use Google Maps as I have downloaded all of southern UK.

I wondered about that, but I tried it both on wifi at home and with full 4G signal on the road. In both cases the community was loading fine!

Looking at the google help on it, it suggest longer routes put too much load on the server. I was trying a reasonably long route - 100 miles, but this is not an unrealistic request.

1 Like

I use Waze a lot and almost every day because my work takes me to different sites around London and Southeast. Like @Anarchist, I have never experienced this routing servers problem.
Waze is great most of the time but there are times when Waze would want to take some weird routes even when there are no traffic or other issues.

I also use Here (which used to be Nokia Here) that app is great for offline navigation but they are improving their traffic data as well.

2 Likes

A lot of phones have Twilight functionality built in now. Samsung’s is called Blue Light filter.