We're saying goodbye to Tom šŸ˜¢

Said no investor ever (apart from small fry crowd-funders).

2 Likes

Monzoā€™s big fry VCā€™s seem to say it pretty consistently

4 Likes

Characteristic candour from Tom. Iā€™m keen to see what next for him and what for Monzo.

3 Likes

Good luck on your future endeavours Tom, you did an amazing job building Monzo from the ground up and really changing how banking works.

Monzo has helped so many people take control of their money, understand budgeting and saving etc

3 Likes

Funnily enough I was paraphrasing something one of our investors said earlier todayā€¦

4 Likes

If youā€™re happy to share, how did the news go down at Monzo, Dan?

2 Likes

Probably not as a surprise, I would think.

All the best for the future Tom.

1 Like

Even the notoriously shortsighted Y Combinator?

For transparency, my choice of adverb there may be hyperbolic. The only other company I liked who they were invested in pushed them to sell out and shutdown to the competitor they posed a significant threat to, despite reaching profitability and following to surge in popularity.

I guess weā€™re all feeling a little bit torn! I mean like Tom is Tom, right? But it was fairly obvious how exhausted he was earlier this year and today he was laughing and smiling and you could tell he was much happier than he had been.

So of course weā€™re really sad heā€™s moving on, but at the same time that heā€™s found his happy place.

Tom is inspirational and the candour with which he talks about how he felt, the way he approaches the problem he was having, the advice he gave for other people in the same situation. Heā€™s incredibly self-aware, and is so passionate about people and the product that his enthusiasm and approach to work rubs off on everybody. He inspires people every time he opens his mouth.

I remember doing my training in Cardiff, grabbing a beer from a fridge and listening to Tom speak in the company All Hands. I mean Iā€™d never worked anywhere that made the time for the whole company to get together once a week for an hour and here was the boss answering some difficult questions (I asked one about Monzo Plus and the situation with that (bearing in mind this was August 2019!!) and I was like - what on Earth? Is this some surreal universe where leadership listen and speak their mind?

There just really arenā€™t any words to describe the respect that people have for him. We have a slack channel where people can chat during All Hands (and has been used a lot more since we closed the offices and everything moved remoteā€¦ thanks COVID) and there were a lot of :hot_coral_heart: emojis being shared throughout.

Monzo is in great hands though, TS is absolutely fantastic - he gets Monzo and what makes Monzo tick and heā€™s passionate about the mission. Sujata is a real people person, sheā€™s spearheaded some changes which are making a big difference to employees across the company.

So on balance, as Tom said it is bitter sweet but Iā€™m sure heā€™ll not be a stranger.

22 Likes

Having been an investor for 30 years - Iā€™ve seen long-term strategies come and go. Often the staff find out with the publicā€¦

1 Like

Can something be simultaneously a shock, but not a surprise? :thinking:

5 Likes

There are no certainties, sure. And I think that Monzo folk know that. Could you accept, though, that this was the message from today? Iā€™m sure youā€™ll agree that todayā€™s news would have no marked impact on exit?

2 Likes

Oh definitely.

Donā€™t forget too that there are lots of staff who are investors and that we also get share options as part of our employment and so thereā€™s always an incentive to be able to cash that in!

3 Likes

A bank isnā€™t one person at the end of the day. So long have a nice life doing whatever it is you want to do next.

Hereā€™s hoping that thereā€™s a renewed focus now from the top down.

3 Likes

Fair play for the candour and openness, he should be unbelievably proud of what heā€™s done, and has left the bank in good hands.

Interesting to see revenues are growing even in the pandemic as part of the TechCrunch article, so good news among the sad

5 Likes

Forever be Tom Monzo to me

Itā€™s good to see someone in a senior position talking about mental well-being.

All the best Tom.
If Monzo can become a true challenger to the current account market then Iā€™m sure you will reap the rewards - psychological speaking.

Anyone has any idea of whatā€™s cooking in Monzo ?

As a long standing customer all Iā€™d say is fair play to him for what heā€™s helped to achieve with Monzo and best of luck for whatever he decides to do in the future.
For me,in helping to start Monzo heā€™s done me so many favours as regards my banking.

Good luck Tom and thanks. :clap:

1 Like

:cry: