Using Monzo on foreign website

hi

Will I get charged for using my Monzo card on a foreign website to do some shopping? i.e. the USA Amazon?

thanks
Shellie

I doubt it unless the company in question charges extra. Monzo does not charge for international transactions you will only pay the Mastercard rate at the time.

2 Likes

No is the simple answer - Just make sure you don’t accept retailer’s currency conversion. So if you shop at a US site pay in $

7 Likes

No, I’ve already used Amazon.com several times :slight_smile:

Hey,

As has been mentioned, Monzo don’t charge for foreign transactions at the Point Of Sale - so that’s websites and at checkouts. You’ll get the MasterCard exchange rate (which is normally the best rate) without any fees :slight_smile:
Make sure you don’t accept any currency conversion, ie. ensure the transaction goes through in Dollars otherwise the retailer will charge you (with a bad exchange rate) for the feature Monzo offers for free :stuck_out_tongue: Amazon does this by default (it charges cards in the local currency of the Amazon site)

Withdrawing cash from foreign ATMs is a little bit different as they charge Monzo a hideous amount in access charges but you probably won’t need to worry about that!

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant - thanks so much for your answer!

Thank you! I’ll get shopping now.

thanks for your reply!

Hi there couldn’t find the help section or online chat so had to post on here.
Has anyone bought online from another country and have it delivered to that country?
I am wanting to purchase something in Greece for a friend and don’t know if this is possible ? Any help would be appreciated :wink:

I moved your post here as the issues are related (although yours was specific to the prepaid card).

It shouldn’t be a problem. I know someone who lives in Spain and regularly uses amazon.co.uk to have goods delivered in the U.K.

1 Like

Yeah my mum frequently buys stuff from the states and has it delivered to our family in NY. All’s good!

1 Like

It shouldn’t be a problem however they could consider it as suspicious as it’s frequently done by fraudsters - stolen card from country X buying on a site from country Y and delivering to country Z, so they might ask for more info or take longer to process the first order (once you’re an established customer it should be fine).

3 Likes

Would it be cheaper to link the Monzo card to a Curve card, and pay via Curve?

https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/214124809-What-foreign-exchange-rates-will-I-pay-with-Curve-?mobile_site=true

No, it will not be cheaper I think. Curve actually says this;

Each time you use Curve to make a purchase or cash withdrawal in a different currency to your underlying bank account (that you have selected in the Curve app), we provide the currency exchange for you. We charge a super low 1% foreign exchange fee on top.

If you pay with your Monzo card you will not pay any exchange fees at all for purchases online or in shops etc… And for cash withdrawals you will have first £200 fee-free on a monthly cycle then it’s 3% charge. So Curve might be cheaper for cash with drawls after you would have used your £200 monthly allowance.

4 Likes

Definitely not for POS purchases, Monzo doesn’t charge any % on top of the MasterCard rate

1 Like

Using this thread for similar sort of clarification. May I use Monzo card to buy from a Thailand website (in Baht currency) without incurring any extra cost? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Monzo won’t add fees, the amount will be converted from Baht into GBP using the MasterCard exchange rate. Just make sure the amount when it comes to payment is in Baht.

You can use the MasterCard calculator here: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html to find out a rough idea of how much it will be in GBP. Put 0 for bank fees as Monzo doesn’t charge any.

The exchange rate constantly fluctuates so the amount may differ slightly when you eventually pay. The transaction in your Monzo app will show an estimate in GBP but this may change slightly when the payment settles according to what the MC exchange rate is when that happens.

Hope that helps?

3 Likes