TSB down again - any spare Golden ticket?

I meant that as a joke! Trans’ community rights (and visibility) are incredibly important. But that’s probably a topic for another thread :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I should add, though, that while this may be true, if our consideration for this outweighs the security of my bank account (I was speaking to the bank on that occasion), that’s when I start to have problem. That guy should’ve stood his ground! It is really a bit sad if we are so concerned with not offending people and not being seen as discriminating, that this takes precedence over security…

1 Like

It’s a protected characteristic in the Equality Act 2010 though so he couldn’t really do anything extra to verify you beyond the standard security questions - in fact I suspect even doing what he did (questioning your deep voice) could have got him in to hot water if you had indeed been trans and decided to make a complaint.

2 Likes

That’s probably all true. I’m still not happy with how easy it would be to get into my various accounts.

2 Likes

Can you not switch to online-only alternatives, where your account is protected by a strong password & 2FA, with no room for social engineering attacks?

On my side I think the only vulnerable service I’ve got is Virgin Media, which frankly I couldn’t care less if it gets breached, as there’s nothing sensitive there.

1 Like

Whom do u suggest as a mobile provider then? (this is what I am most concerned about, as it’s used for 2SV for so many other services…)

Andrews & Arnold to host your number (you can port an existing one in) and then a SIP client and any throwaway pay and go SIM (you can also use their own SIP2SIM service or their Three-based data SIM).

Note that calls & texts can be intercepted regardless of your provider so I suggest not relying on it for authentication at all.

1 Like

Thanks, I might look into that, although last time I checked A&A (for broadband) they were just to expensive for me.

Also, don’t they also have human customer service that could be socially engineered? (no doubt mir difficult than PlusNet, though :smiley: )

I know! I’d love it if we could all just stop pretending a text message constitutes 2fa, but there are still too many providers relying on it…

A&A is cheap for phone numbers, around 1£/month; inbound calls are free, outbound calls are at a fair price (but you can always route them through someone else like Simwood or Nexmo).

If you enable 2FA on A&A they will require it for customer service as well; to be honest I’m pretty sure A&A customer service will scare away any fraudster even before they attempt anything (and I don’t mean this in a bad way, A&A is brilliant in terms of solving your problems but they don’t take any bullshit).

1 Like

We definitely questioned and validated people in my last job :thinking:

They end up being understanding that you’ve taken the time to validate and understand.

2 Likes

HAHAHAHA

also

challenger bank?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Yes, a “challenger” bank, like Metro,
but not a “neobank” like Monzo.

I thought the term “challenger” bank was for new banks not ones that have been around for years?

1 Like

its certainly challenging for their customers

10 Likes

I think it’s more about banks challenging the status-quo and offering unique features. I guess TSB definitely qualifies as it set the bar for technical issues; even GPS is jealous. :joy:

2 Likes

The term is normally used for all recent banks who are not the big historic banks. So Metro, Handelsbanken, the new TSB, Monzo and Starling etc.

To limit it to the new branchless fintechs the Neobank label is much more specific, as it excludes banks like Metro and TSB.

1 Like

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but regarding the above joke - did you hear GPS’s appearance on the fintech insiders podcast a little while ago? I felt the same way about them (seemed like a useless dumb pipe ruining fintech) until I’d heard the podcast. Now I just want to invest in them!

2 Likes

This golden ticket thingy guys🤔 I signed up pretty much straight away. Is there a waiting list to join and this tickets quick way to join?

Golden tickets have been removed. There’s no queue anymore

2 Likes

Fixed apparently

A TSB PR rep sent us a statement:

“We’re really sorry that some of our customers experienced intermittent issues with online banking for a short period this morning. This issue has now been fixed and our services are working as normal. Customers were still able to use their cards as normal throughout. We’d like to apologise to our customers for any inconvenience this may have caused.”