TSB Digital Banking Platform

TSB have released a press release outlining big changes to their banking platform.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/news-releases/news-releases/tsb-unveils-new-banking-platform/

I’m intrigued by the quote

Over 2,500 man years of effort by TSB, Sabadell and our technology partners means TSB will be the first major bank in the UK to have designed and built a new banking platform for the digital age.

I wonder how that 2500 man year effort equates to the effort to get Monzo off the ground. I appreciate Monzo don’t have the legacy of existing customers to deal with, but it would be an interesting comparison.

Interesting, but very vague on the specifics. How will this new platform actually benefit their customers?

1 Like

As a TSB customer, whose accounts were split between TSB and Lloyds in the demerger of 2013, it has always bugged me that TSB, essentially a brand new bank, was saddled with Lloyds’ outdated systems. I’d hoped it wasn’t saddled with the same outdated thinking too.

Hopefully this new banking platform will closer resemble Monzo and Starling than it does Lloyds, with instant notifications and budgeting baked in (coinciding with TSB’s announcement to switch to Mastercard shortly). They’ve had enough time to study the challengers’ competition after all!

Time will tell if they’ve really seized the opportunity, or if they’ve ‘done an RBS’ and think saying “Hi Jamie” when I boot up their app, is innovation.

Yesterday Starling released an updated app that changed some wording on the screen used to send invitations …and removed the queue to allow immediate access for anyone thus negating the need for invitations.

Yep. They changed the wording on a redundant screen.

FTW!

3 Likes

What a super-odd press release:

"We’ve achieved a significant number of milestones already but, we’ve decided to re-plan the roll-out of the new platform scheduled for November, into Q1 2018. "

So it’s a press release to celebrate the release is running later.

This means we’ll be able to focus one hundred per cent on helping our customers understand the implications of the widely anticipated base rate rise on 2 November 2017.”

Eh? what does a base rate rise have with the rollout of a technical platform?

‘oh - the app changing colour means I cannot concentrate on an increase in the base rate!’

If the base doesn’t rise, as they’re convinced it will, they’ll look pretty stupid.

They achieved that already win that press release.

1 Like

Well I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they unveil this ‘state of the art’ banking platform.